OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Phillips County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Phillips County, Kansas Facts
When was Phillips County, KS Created?
Phillips County was established on February 26, 1867 (organized in 1872) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of William Phillips, state legislator who pushed for creation of the county, and later U.S. Representative. A Free State man who was murdered at Leavenworth on 1 Sept 1856 by Frederick Emory and his pro-slave ‘law-and-order’ militia.
What is the County Seat of Phillips County, KS?
The County Seat is located in Phillipsburg and the county government website is http://www.phillipscounty.org
What counties are adjacent to Phillips County, KS?
Bordering Counties are Harlan County, Nebraska, Franklin County, Nebraska, Smith County, Rooks County, Graham County, Norton County.
What cities and towns are in Phillips County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Phillipsburg, Logan, Agra, Kirwin, Long Island, Prairie View, Glade, Speed.
Phillips County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Phillips County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Phillips County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Phillips County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Phillips County, KS Census Records
What Phillips County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Phillips County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Phillips Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1880. Phillips Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1880. Phillips Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Phillips County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Phillips County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Phillips County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research.
- Phillips County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 301 State Street, Phillipsburg, KS 67661-1941; Phone: (785) 543-6825.
- Phillips County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 18?, Marriage Records from 1872 and Death Records from 18?. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Phillips County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1872. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Phillips County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1872 and Court Records from 1873. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
Phillips County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Phillips County, KS?
A list of Phillips County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Phillips County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 114, Phillipsburg, KS 67661
- Phillips County Historical Society, RR 2, Box 18a, Phillipsburg KS 67661
- Search for Phillips Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Phillips County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Phillips County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Phillips County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Phillips County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Phillips County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Phillips Co. KS Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Kansas Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Kansas historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981) (genealogybank.com)
- Phillips County, Kansas Books (amazon.com)
- Search Kansas Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Phillips County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Phillips Co. KS Cemeteries & Church Records
- Kansas Cemetery Research Guide
- Phillips Co., Kansas Graves (findagrave.com)
- Phillips County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Phillips Co., Kansas Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Phillips County, Kansas
- Phillips Co., Kansas Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Kansas Church & Bible Research Guide
- Topographic Church List and Map for Phillips County, Kansas
- Phillips County, Kansas Church Books (amazon.com)
Phillips Co. KS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Kansas Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Phillips Co. KS General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Kansas
- Phillips County, Kansas Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Phillips County, Kansas Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Phillips Co. KS Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Phillips County, Kansas (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Kansas – Counties – Phillips (cyndislist.com)
- Phillips County Kansas (genealogytrails.com)
- Phillips County – Kansas Historical Society Biography (kshs.org)
- Phillips Co. KSGenweb (skyways.lib.ks.us)
- Phillips County, Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history (skyways.lib.ks.us)
- Phillips County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Phillips Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Phillips Co. KS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Kansas Links and Information
- Phillips County D.O.T. MAP (ksdot.org)
- 1895 Phillips County Map (livgenmi.com)
Phillips Co. KS Military Records
- Kansas Military Records Research Guide
- 1883 List of Pensioners on the Roll (skyways.lib.ks.us) Veterans or widows of veterans living in Phillips Co. KS who have applied for a Pension
- Kansas Military Records (fold3.com) gives you access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Kansas both males and females that served. Perfect for Phillips County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.