OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Osage County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Osage County, Kansas Facts
When was Weller County, KS Created?
Weller County was established on August 30, 1855 as one of the original 36 counties. The County was named for John B. Weller (1812-1875), who served at various times as congressman from Ohio, senator from California, and U.S. Minister to Mexico.
The County was renamed to Osage County on February 11, 1859. The county was named for the Osage River, which flows through the county.
What is the County Seat of Osage County, KS?
The County Seat is located in Lyndon and the county government website is http://www.osageco.org
What counties are adjacent to Osage County, KS?
Bordering Counties are Shawnee County, Douglas County, Franklin County, Coffey County, Lyon County, Wabaunsee County.
What cities and towns are in Osage County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Osage City, Carbondale, Lyndon, Burlingame, Overbrook, Scranton, Quenemo, Melvern, Olivet.
Osage County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Osage County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Osage County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Osage County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Osage County, KS Census Records
What Osage County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Osage County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Osage Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Osage Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Osage Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Osage County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Osage County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Osage County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research.
- Osage County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 717 Topeka Avenue, Lyndon, KS 66451-9792; Phone: (785) 828-4812.
- Osage County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1885-1911, Marriage Records from 1860 and Death Records from 1885-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Osage County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1859. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Osage County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1861 and Court Records from 1861. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
Osage County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Osage County, KS?
A list of Osage County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Osage County Genealogy Society, 127 East 6th St., Lyndon, Kansas 66451; Phone 785-828-4520
- Osage County Historical Society & Research Center, P.O. Box 361, 631 Topeka Avenue, Lyndon, KS 66451; PH 785 828-3477
- Search for Osage Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Osage County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Osage County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Osage County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Osage County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Osage County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Osage Co. KS Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Kansas Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Kansas historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981) (genealogybank.com)
- Osage County, Kansas Books (amazon.com)
- Search Kansas Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Osage County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Osage Co. KS Cemeteries & Church Records
- Kansas Cemetery Research Guide
- Osage Co., Kansas Graves (findagrave.com)
- Osage County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Osage Co., Kansas Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Osage County, Kansas
- Osage Co., Kansas Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Kansas Church & Bible Research Guide
- Topographic Church List and Map for Osage County, Kansas
- Osage County, Kansas Church Books (amazon.com)
Osage Co. KS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Kansas Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Osage Co. KS General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Kansas
- Osage County, Kansas Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Osage County, Kansas Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Osage Co. KS Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Osage County, Kansas (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Kansas – Counties – Osage (cyndislist.com)
- Osage County Kansas (genealogytrails.com)
- Osage County – Kansas Historical Society Biography (kshs.org)
- Osage Co. KSGenweb (skyways.lib.ks.us)
- Osage County, Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history (skyways.lib.ks.us)
- Osage County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Osage Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Osage Co. KS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Kansas Links and Information
- Osage County D.O.T. MAP (ksdot.org)
- 1895 Osage County Map (livgenmi.com)
Osage Co. KS Military Records
- Kansas Military Records Research Guide
- 1883 List of Pensioners on the Roll (skyways.lib.ks.us) Veterans or widows of veterans living in Osage Co. KS who have applied for a Pension
- Kansas Military Records (fold3.com) gives you access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Kansas both males and females that served. Perfect for Osage County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.