McPherson County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
McPherson County, Kansas Facts
When was McPherson County, KS Created?
McPherson County was established on February 26, 1867 (organized on March 01, 1870) from Peketon Territory. The county was named in honor of Gen. James Birdseye McPherson (1828-1864). Major-general and commander of the Army of the Tennessee, he was the highest-ranking Union officer to be killed in battle during the Civil War, at the Battle of Atlanta..
What cities and towns are in McPherson County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Canton, Galva, Inman, Lindsborg, Marquette, McPherson, Moundridge.
McPherson County, KS Vital Records
Where can find McPherson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
McPherson County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for McPherson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
McPherson County, KS Census Records
What McPherson County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for McPherson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
McPherson Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. McPherson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. McPherson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
McPherson County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the McPherson County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in McPherson County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- McPherson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 117 N Maple St, McPherson, KS 67460; Phone Number: (620) 241-3656
- McPherson County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1887-1911, Marriage Records from 1870 and Death Records from 1885-1900. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- McPherson County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1870. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- McPherson County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1870 and Court Records from 1871. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
McPherson County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for McPherson County, KS?
A list of McPherson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Mcpherson County Historical Society, 540 East Hill, Mcpherson KS 67460
- Search for McPherson Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other McPherson County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- McPherson County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- McPherson County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in McPherson County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to McPherson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.