Barton County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Barton County, Kansas Facts
When was Barton County, KS Created?
Barton County was established on February 26, 1867 (Organized on May 16, 1872) from Peketon Territory. The county was named in honor of Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross.
What is the County Seat of Barton County, KS?
The County Seat is located in Great Bend and the county government website is http://www.bartoncounty.org/
What counties are adjacent to Barton County, KS?
Bordering Counties are Russell County, Ellsworth County, Rice County, Stafford County, Pawnee County, Rush County.
What cities and towns are in Barton County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Ellinwood, Great Bend, Hoisington.
Barton County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Barton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Barton County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Barton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Barton County, KS Census Records
What Barton County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Barton County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Barton Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1880. Barton Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1880. Barton Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You'll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Barton County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
Barton County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Barton County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Barton County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Barton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
is located at 1400 Main Street, Great Bend, KS 67530-0000; Phone: (620) 793-1847.
- Barton County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1898-1911, Marriage Records from 1872 and Death Records from 1898-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Barton County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1872. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Barton County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1872 and Court Records from 1873. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
Barton County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Barton County, KS?
A list of Barton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Barton County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 425, Great Bend KS 67530
- Barton County Historical Society, 85 South Highway 281, Box 1091, Great Bend 67530
- Search for Barton Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Barton County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Barton County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Barton County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Barton Co. KS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Barton Co. KS Cemeteries & Church Records
Barton Co. KS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Barton Co. KS General and History Websites
Barton Co. KS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Barton Co. KS Military Records