Grundy County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Grundy County, Iowa Facts
When was Grundy County, IA Created?
Grundy County was established on January 15, 1851 (Organized in 1856) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Felix Grundy, an United States Attorney General and U.S. Senator from Tennessee
What cities and towns are in Grundy County, IA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Beaman, Conrad, Dike, Grundy Center, Holland, Morrison, Reinbeck, Stout, Wellsburg.
Grundy County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Grundy County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Grundy County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Grundy County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Grundy County, IA Census Records
What Grundy County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Grundy County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Grundy Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grundy Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grundy Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Grundy County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Grundy County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Grundy County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Grundy County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 706 G Ave., Grundy Center, IA 50638
- Phone: (319) 824-5229
- Grundy County Recorder’s Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder’s Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder’s Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder’s Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1863
- Grundy County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1869
- Court Records: 1871
- BLM Land Records
Grundy County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Grundy County, IA?
A list of Grundy County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Grundy County Genealogical Society, 18419 205th Street, Grundy Center, IA 50638-8733
- Grundy County Historical Society, Rt. 1, Grundy Center, IA 50638; Phone: (319) 824-3585
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Grundy County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Iowa State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Grundy County, Iowa Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Grundy County, Iowa Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Grundy County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Grundy County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.