Noble County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Noble County, Indiana Facts
When was Noble County, IN Created?
Noble County was established on March 1, 1836 from Unorganized Land. This county was named for U.S. Senator James Noble or Governor of Indiana Noah Noble, brothers.
What is the County Seat of Noble County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Albion also, the county government website is nobleco.squarespace.com/ .
What counties are adjacent to Noble County, IN?
Bordering Counties are LaGrange County, Steuben County, DeKalb County, Allen County, Whitley County, Kosciusko County, Elkhart County.
What cities and towns are in Noble County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Albion, Avilla, Cromwell, Kendallville, Kimmell, LaOtto, Ligonier, Rome City, Wilmot, Wolf Lake, Bear Lake.
What Townships are in Noble County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Albion, Allen, Elkhart, Green, Jefferson, Noble, Orange, Perry, Sparta, Swan, Washington, Wayne, York.
Noble County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Noble County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Noble County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Noble County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Noble County Department of Health, 2090 N State Road 9, Ste C, Albion, IN 46701-9566 ; Phone: 260-636-2191 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Noble County, IN Census Records
What Noble County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Noble Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Noble Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Noble Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Noble County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
Noble County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Noble County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Noble County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in 1843 and 1859, Most of clerk's records were lost. Saved: marriages from 1859, deeds and deed indexes from 1836.
- Noble County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 North Orange Street, Albion, Indiana 46701
- Noble County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 260-636-2736
- Marriage Records: 1859
- Probate Records: 1854
- Court Records: ?
- Noble County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 260-636-2672
- Land Records: 1834
- Noble County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
Noble County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Noble County, IN?
A list of Noble County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Noble County Historian, Sarah Knopp, 208 E. Main St., Albion, IN 46701, Work Phone: (260) 856-2119, email@example.com
- Kendallville Historical Society (Mid-America Windmill Museum), P.O. Box 5048, Kendallville, IN 46755-5048; Phone: (260) 347-2334
- Ligonier Historical Society And Museum, 300 S. Main St., Ligonier, IN 46767-1812; Phone: (219) 894-7580
- Noble County Genealogical Society, 109 North York Street, Albion 46701
- Noble County Historical Society, P.O. Box 152, Albion, IN 46701-0152; Phone: (260) 636-3929
- Stone's Trace Historical Museum, 4946 N. State Road 5, Ligonier, IN 46767-9603; Phone: (260) 856-2871
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Noble County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Noble County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Noble County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Noble Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Noble Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Noble Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
Noble Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Noble Co. IN General and History Websites
- Noble County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of northeast Indiana : LaGrange, Steuben, Noble and DeKalb Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Counties of Whitley and Noble, Indiana : historical and biographical (search.ancestry.com)
- Church histories, obituaries, and stories of early days, Noble County, Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Noble County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Noble Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Noble County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Noble Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Noble County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Noble (cyndislist.com)
- Noble County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Noble Co. INGenweb (google.com)
- Noble County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Noble Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Noble Co. IN Military Records