OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Marshall County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Marshall County, Indiana Facts
When was Marshall County, IN Created?
Marshall County was established on February 7, 1835 from St. Joseph County and Unorganized Land. This county was named for U.S. Chief Justice John Marshall.
What is the County Seat of Marshall County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Plymouth also, the county government website is www.co.marshall.in.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Marshall County, IN?
Bordering Counties are St. Joseph County, Elkhart County, Kosciusko County, Fulton County, Pulaski County, Starke County.
What cities and towns are in Marshall County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Argos, Bourbon, Bremen, Culver, La Paz, Plymouth.
What Townships are in Marshall County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Bourbon, Center, German, Green, North, Polk, Tippecanoe, Union, Walnut, West.
Marshall County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Marshall County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Marshall County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Marshall County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Marshall County Department of Health, 112 W. Jefferson St., Ste 103, Plymouth, IN 46563-1764; Phone: 574-935-8565 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Marshall County, IN Census Records
What Marshall County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marshall Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Marshall County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Marshall County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Marshall County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research.
- Marshall County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 211 W Madison Street, Plymouth, Indiana 46563
- Marshall County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (574) 936-8922
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1834
- Court Records: 1837
- Marshall County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 112 W Jefferson Street, Plymouth, IN 46563
- Phone: (574) 935-8515
- Land Records: 1834
- Marshall County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Marshall County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Marshall County, IN?
A list of Marshall County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Marshall County Historian, Linda Rippy, 430 Clark St., Plymouth, IN 46563-2805; Home Phone: (574) 936-4346
- Antiquarian and Historical Society of Culver, P.O. Box 125, Culver, IN 46511-0125; Phone: (574) 842-2941
- Historic Bremen, P.O. Box 471, Bremen, IN 46506-0471
- Marshall County Historical Society, 123 N. Michigan St., Plymouth, IN 46563-2132; Phone: (574) 936-2306
- Marshall County Genealogical Society, 3383 E Eights Rd, Bourbon 46504
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Marshall County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marshall County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marshall County
- Marshall County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Marshall County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Marshall County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Marshall Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Indiana Links and Information
- Marshall County Township Map (stats.indiana.edu)
- 1895 Marshall County Map (livgenmi.com)
Marshall Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Indiana Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Indiana historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 – 1930) (genealogybank.com)
- Marshall County, Indiana Books (amazon.com)
- Internet Archives online books for Marshall County (archive.org)
- Google online books for Marshall County (google.com)
- Indiana Newspaper Holdings for Marshall County (in.gov)
- SearchIndiana Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Marshall Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
- Marshall Co., Indiana Graves (findagrave.com)
- Indiana Pioneer Cemeteries Restoration Project (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Marshall County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Marshall Co., Indiana Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Marshall Co., Indiana Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Marshall County, Indiana Church Books (amazon.com)
Marshall Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
- The Indiana Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Marshall Co. IN General and History Websites
- Marshall County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The story of Marshall County (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Marshall County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Marshall Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Marshall County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Marshall Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Marshall County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Indiana – Counties – Marshall (cyndislist.com)
- Marshall County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Marshall Co. INGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Marshall County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Marshall Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Marshall Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records Research Guide
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Marshall County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.