Henry County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Henry County, Indiana Facts
When was Henry County, IN Created?
Henry County was established on June 1, 1822 from Delaware New Purchase. This county was named for Patrick Henry, attorney, orator, and founding father .
What is the County Seat of Henry County, IN?
The County Seat is located in New Castle also, the county government website is www.henryco.net/ .
What counties are adjacent to Henry County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Delaware County, Randolph County, Wayne County, Fayette County, Rush County, Hancock County, Madison County.
What cities and towns are in Henry County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Ashland, Blountsville, Cadiz, Corwin, Dunreith, Fayne Siding, Foley, Grant City, Greensboro, Hillsboro, Honey Creek, Kennard, Knightstown, Lewisville, Luray, Maple Valley, Mechanicsburg, Messick, Middletown, Millville, Mooreland, Mount Lawn, Mount Summit, New Castle, New Lisbon, Ogden, Pierson Station, Raysville, Rogersville, Shirley, Spiceland, Springport, Stone Quarry Mills, Straughn, Sulphur Springs, Van Nuys, Westwood, Woodville.
What Townships are in Henry County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Blue River, Dudley, Fall Creek, Franklin, Greensboro, Harrison, Henry, Jefferson, Liberty, Prairie, Spiceland, Stoney Creek, Wayne.
Henry County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Henry County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Henry County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Henry County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Henry County Department of Health, 1201 Race Street, Ste 208, New Castle, IN 47362-4653 ; Phone: 765-521-7059 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Henry County, IN Census Records
What Henry County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Henry Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Henry County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
Henry County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Henry County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Henry County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Feb. 1864, Clerk, recorded, auditor and treasurer's records were saved.
- Henry County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Henry County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 1215 Race Street, PO Box B, New Castle, IN 47362
- Phone: (765) 529-6401
- Marriage Records: 1823
- Probate Records: 1822
- Court Records: 1825
- Henry County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 101 S Main St Rm #106, New Castle, IN 47362
- Phone: (765) 529-4304
- Land Records: 1824
- Henry County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
Henry County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Henry County, IN?
A list of Henry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Henry County Historian, Richard P. Ratcliff, 6462 Woods Edge Drive, Spiceland, IN 47385; Phone: (765) 987-7182
- Henry County Historical Society Museum, 606 S. 14th St., New Castle, IN 47362-3339; Phone: (765) 529-4028
- Genealogical Society of Henry , Indiana, Inc.,The Genealogical Society of Henry County, Indiana has officially disbanded due to lack of interest October 21, 2009.
- Historic Knightstown, P.O. Box 74, Knightstown, IN 46148-0074; Phone: (765) 345-5224
- Kennard Historical Society, 750 Oak Blvd., Greenfield, IN 46140-1465
- Middletown Fall Creek Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 63, Middletown, IN 47356-0063; Phone: (765) 354-2000
- Spiceland Preservation and Tourism Society, P.O. Box 453, Spiceland, IN 47385-0453
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Henry County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Henry County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Henry County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Henry Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henry Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henry Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
Henry Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henry Co. IN General and History Websites
- Henry County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Hazzard's history of Henry County, Indiana : 1822- 1906 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Henry County, Indiana : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, mil (search.ancestry.com)
- Henry County, past and present : a brief history of the county from 1821 to 1871 (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of Spiceland Academy (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Henry County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Henry Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Henry County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Henry Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Henry County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Henry (cyndislist.com)
- Henry County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Henry Co. INGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Henry County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Henry Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Henry Co. IN Military Records