OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
St Clair County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
St Clair County, Illinois Facts
When was St Clair County, IL Created?
St Clair County was established on April 27, 1790.
What is the County Seat of St Clair County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Belleville (three judicial districts was initially established in Cahokia, Kaskaskia and Prairie du Rocher. With the formation of Randolph County in 1795, Cahokia became the sole seat of government for St. Clair County from 1790–1814) also, the county government website is www.co.st-clair.il.us .
What counties are adjacent to St Clair County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Madison County, Clinton County, Washington County, Randolph County, Monroe County, St. Louis, Missouri, St. Louis County, Missouri
St Clair County, IL Vital Records
Where can find St Clair County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
St Clair County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for St Clair County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
St Clair County, IL Census Records
What St Clair County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for St Clair County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
St Clair Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St Clair Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St Clair Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
St Clair County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the St Clair County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of St Clair County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Illinois residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the St Clair County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Illinois Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- St Clair County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 10 Public Square, Belleville, IL 62220
- St Clair County Clerk
- Address: 618-277-6600, ext. 2380
- Marriage Records: 1763
- Birth & Death Records: 1830
- St Clair County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 618-277-6600, ext. 2478
- Land Records:1786
- St Clair County Clerk of the Circuit Court,
- Phone: 618-277-6600, ext. 2323
- Probate Records: 1772
- Court Records: 1778
- Circuit Court Index 1819 – 1840
- Cahokia records, 1778-1790
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- BLM Land Records
St Clair County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for St Clair County, IL?
A list of St Clair County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- St. Clair County Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 431, Belleville, Illinois 62222-0431
- Freeburg Genealogical & Historical Society, PO Box 69, Freeburg IL 62243
- Marissa Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 245, Marissa, IL 62257-0245
- O’Fallon Historical Society, P.O. Box #344, 101 West State Street, O’Fallon, IL 62269
- St. Clair County Historical Society, 701 East Washington St., Belleville, IL 62208; Phone: (618) 234-0600
- Southern Illinois University (SIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Special Collections, Morris Library – 6632, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901-6632; 618-453-3040
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-196
Where can I connect with other St Clair County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- St Clair County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in St Clair County
- St Clair County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in St Clair County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to St Clair County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
St Clair Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Illinois Links and Information
- St Clair Co. D.O.T. Map
- Map of St Clair County and its civil and congressional townships
- St Clair Federal Township Plats of Illinois (1804-1891) (landplats.ilsos.net)
- 1892 St Clair Co., IL Railroad Map (usgwarchives.net)
- 1895 St Clair County Map (livgenmi.com)
St Clair Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Illinois Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Illinois historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 – 1922) (genealogybank.com)
- East St Louis Daily Journal (East Saint Louis, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- East St Louis Journal (East Saint Louis, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- St Clair County, Illinois Books (amazon.com)
- Search Illinois Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
St Clair Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
- Walnut Hill Cemetery, Belleville, Illinois (stclair-ilgs.org)
- St Clair Co., Illinois Graves (findagrave.com)
- St Clair County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- St Clair Co., Illinois Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- St Clair Co., Illinois Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- St Clair County, Illinois Church Books (amazon.com)
St Clair Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Index to names in twenty-six volumes of Illinois records (search.ancestry.com)
- The Illinois Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
St Clair Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- St Clair County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- St Clair County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- CHAPTER I – Under French Rule (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- CHAPTER II – Under British Rule (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- CHAPTER III – The Transition to American Rule (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- CHAPTER IV – Settlers of the Early Period (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- CHAPTER V – Early American Settlers of St. Clair County (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical record of St. Clair County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representati (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of Belleville (search.ancestry.com)
- The book of words of St. Clair County pageant (search.ancestry.com)
- Freeburg centennial (search.ancestry.com)
- St Clair County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- St Clair Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- St Clair County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Illinois – Counties – St Clair (cyndislist.com)
- St Clair County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- St Clair Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- St Clair County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- St Clair Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
St Clair Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records Research Guide
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for St Clair County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
St Clair Co. IL Schools & Directories
- East St. Louis, Illinois Directory, 1889-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical encyclopedia of Illinois and History of St Clair County (search.ancestry.com)