Cumberland County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Cumberland County, Illinois Facts
When was Cumberland County, IL Created?
Cumberland County was established on March 2, 1843.
What is the County Seat of Cumberland County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Toledo aka Prairie City until 1874 (prior county seats was Greenup from 1843-1855) also, the county government website is www.cumberlandco.org .
Cumberland County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Cumberland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Cumberland County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Cumberland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Cumberland County, IL Census Records
What Cumberland County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Cumberland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cumberland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Cumberland County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Cumberland County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Cumberland County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Illinois residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Cumberland County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Cumberland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 140 Courthouse Square/Box 146, Toledo, IL 62468
- Cumberland County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 217-849-2631
- Marriage Records: 1880
- Birth & Death Records: 1885 / 1844
- Land Records: 1885
- Cumberland County Clerk of the Circuit Court,
- Phone: 217-849-3601
- Probate Records: 1884
- Court Records: 1885
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- BLM Land Records
Cumberland County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Cumberland County, IL?
A list of Cumberland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Cumberland County Historical & Genealogical Society, Box # 582, Greenup, Il. 62428; phone 217-923-9306
- Eastern Illinois University, Booth Library, 600 Lincoln Ave, Charleston, IL 61920; (217) 581-6093
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Cumberland County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Illinois Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cumberland County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cumberland County
- Cumberland County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Cumberland County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cumberland County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.