Caribou County, Idaho
Caribou County was established on February 11, 1919 from Bannock County.
Currently the Caribou County Seat can be found in Soda Springs plus the county government website is http://www.co.caribou.id.us/
Areas bordering Caribou County are Bonneville County, Lincoln County, Wyoming, Bear Lake County, Franklin County, Bannock County, Bingham County.
Caribou County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1920, 1930, 1940. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Caribou County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Caribou County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Caribou County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the great importance of Caribou County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Hidden away in Idaho courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and worries of the many Idaho citizens. The chances are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Caribou County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
- Caribou County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 159 S Main St, Soda Springs, ID 83276
- Phone: (208) 547-4324
- Caribou County Clerk, Auditor, Recorders Office
- Marriage Records: 1919
- Land Records: 1889
- Probate Records: 1898
- Court Records: 1891
- Idaho Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Idaho for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Caribou County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources associated to Caribou County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most liked Caribou County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Caribou Co. ID Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Idaho Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Idaho historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Idaho (1864–1922) (genealogybank.com)
- Soda Springs Sun (Soda Springs, Idaho) (search.ancestry.com)
- Soda Springs Chieftain (Soda Springs, Idaho) (search.ancestry.com)
- Caribou County Sun (Soda Springs, Idaho) (search.ancestry.com)
- Idanha Chieftain, The (Soda Springs, Idaho) (search.ancestry.com)
- Gem Valley Chronicle (Grace, Idaho) (search.ancestry.com)
- Caribou County, Idaho Books (amazon.com)
- Search Idaho Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Idaho, Obituaries, 2007 (familysearch.org) Digital images of originals collected and housed by the Idaho Falls Regional Family History Center. Obituaries are from various Idaho newspapers printed in 2007. This collection has multiple arrangements: by Idaho city or town, mixed cities and name, and by out of state deaths of Idaho natives.
- Caribou County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Caribou Co. ID Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Caribou Co. ID Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Caribou Co. ID Census Records
Caribou Co. ID Cemeteries & Church Records
Caribou Co. ID Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Caribou Co. ID General and History Websites
Caribou Co. ID Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Caribou Co. ID Military Records
Caribou Co. ID Schools & Directories
- Idaho City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Idaho. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.