OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Hall County, Georgia
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Hall County, Georgia Facts
When was Hall County, GA Created?
Hall County was established on December 15, 1818 from Cherokee Cessions of 1817 and 1819 (between 1818 and 1870, small amounts of land was transferred between Hall and neighboring counties ).
What is the County Seat of Hall County, GA?
The County Seat is located in Gainesville and in the current county government website is www.hallcounty.org/.
What counties are adjacent to Hall County, GA?
Bordering Counties are White County, Habersham County (norteast), Banks County, Jackson County, Barrow County, Gwinnett County, Forsyth County, Dawson County, Lumpkin County
Hall County, GA Vital Records
Where can find Hall County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hall County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Hall County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Hall Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Hall County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Georgia Marriage Project
- Georgia, Births and Christenings, 1754-1960
- Marriage Records from Microfilm
- Georgia Marriages, 1699-1944
- Georgia Marriages to 1850
- Georgia Marriages, 1851-1900
- Georgia, Marriages, 1808-1967
- Georgia Death Certificates, 1919-1927
- Georgia Non-Indexed Death Certificates, 1928-1930
- Georgia Deaths, 1914-1927
- Georgia Deaths, 1928-1930
- Georgia, Death Index, 1933-1998
- Georgia Deaths, 1919-98
- Georgia, Deaths Index, 1914-1927
Hall County, GA Census Records
What Hall County, GA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Hall County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hall County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Hall County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hall County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hall County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Georgia Census Records Research Guide
Hall County, GA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Hall County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Hall County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Georgia courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Georgia residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hall County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Georgia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research. The County Courthouse was burned in 1851, and a replacement was built–but it burned also in 1882. The county’s next courthouse was built in 1884, but it was destroyed by a devastating tornando that hit Gainesville in 1936
- Hall County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 225 Green Street, S.E., Gainesville, Georgia 30501
- A Look at the History of Hall Co. Courthouse in Georgia
- Hall County Clerk of Superior Court
- Phone: (770) 531-7025
- Land Records: 1819
- Court Records: 1819
- Hall County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: ?
- Phone: 770.531.6925
- Marriage Records: 1819
- Probate Records: 1819
- Georgia, Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992
- County Tax Digests
- County Records Microfilm Index
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia
- BLM Land Records
Hall County, GA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hall County, GA?
A list of Hall County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- Hall County Historical Society, 380 Green Street, NE, Gainesville, GA 30501; Phone: 770 503-1319
- Northwest Georgia Historical and Genealogical Society – Post Office Box 5063, Rome, Georgia 30162-5063
- Stone Rangers, Inc.; PO Box 1538, Flowery Branch, GA 30542-0026; (678) 316-8072
- Georgia State Archives – 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260; 678.364.3700
- Georgia Historical Society, 501 Whitaker Street, Savannah, GA 31401
- Georgia Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 54574, Atlanta, Georgia 30308-0575
Where can I connect with other Hall County, GA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Georgia Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hall County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hall County
- Hall County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Hall County, GA?
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Hall County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Facts for Hall Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Georgia Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Georgia historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 – 1997) (genealogybank.com)
- Hall County, Georgia Books (amazon.com)
- Hall County Newspapers (usgwarchives.net)
- Search Georgia Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Hall County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
Facts for Hall Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
- Hall Co., Georgia Graves (findagrave.com)
- Hall County Cemeteries (usgwarchives.net)
- Hall County Tombstone Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Hall County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Hall Co., Georgia Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Hall Co., Georgia Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Hall County Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Hall County Bibles (usgwarchives.net)
- Hall County, Georgia Church Books (amazon.com)
Facts for Hall Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- County Biographies (usgwarchives.net)
- County Photos (usgwarchives.net)
Facts for Hall Co. GA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Georgia
- Hall County Georgia (genealogytrails.com)
- Hall County, Georgia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Hall County, Georgia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Hall Co. GA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Georgia Virtual Vault (sos.state.ga.us)
- Hall County, Georgia History (usgwarchives.net)
- Hall County, Georgia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Georgia – Counties – Hall (cyndislist.com)
- Hall County, GA History (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- Hall Co. GAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Hall County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- View Index of Counties and Equivalents
- Hall County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Hall Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Facts for Hall Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Georgia Links and Information
- Hall County D.O.T. MAP
- County Maps (sos.state.ga.us)
- Historical Maps of Hall County (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- 1895 Hall County Map (livgenmi.com)
Facts for Hall Co. GA Military Records
- Georgia Military Records Research Guide
- Hall County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Georgia Military Records (Fold3.com)