Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy
Sussex County was established on August 8, 1673 as an Original County (originally named Whorekill or Hoarkill, renamed 1681 to Deale or New Deal, renamed to Sussex in 1682). The county was named by William Penn for the English county of Sussex, which was his home county.
The Sussex County Seat is situated in Georgetown and the county government website is http://www.sussexcountyde.gov/
Areas neighboring Sussex County are Kent County, Cape May County, New Jersey, Worcester County, Maryland, Dorchester County, Maryland, Wicomico County, Maryland, Caroline County, Maryland.
Sussex County vital records can be found at the Delaware Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Delaware for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Sussex County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Delaware Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. Same day service is available to walk-in customers. This is the fastest way to obtain a birth certificate. Walk-in address is Adams State Service Center - (302) 856-5495 - Office Hours 8:00 AM - 4:15 PM Monday through Friday except Holidays.
Sussex County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Sussex Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sussex Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sussex Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There's free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Sussex County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Sussex County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Delaware Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Delaware Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Delaware State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Sussex County Genealogical Society, c/o Rehoboth Beach Public Library, 226 Rehoboth Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
- Bridgeville Historical Society, 102 Williams Street, Bridgeville, DE 19933; Phone:(302) 337-7600
- Georgetown Historical Society, 510 S Bedford Street, Georgetown, DE 19947-1852; 302-855-9660
- Lewes Historical Society, 110 Shipcarpenter Street, Lewes, DE 19958; Phone:(302) 645-7670
- Milford Historical Society, 501 Northwest Front Street, Milford, DE 19963; Phone Number:(302) 422-4222
- Sussex County, Delaware Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Sussex County (usgwarchives.net)
Sussex County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the value of Sussex County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Delaware courthouses and archives everywhere are the desires and worries of countless Delaware people.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least some facets of their lives in the Sussex County court records.
Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
- Sussex County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Administrative Office Building, 2 The Circle, Georgetown, DE 19947
- Phone: 302-855-7055
- Sussex County Clerk of the Peace functions include Witnessing County documents; attends all formal Levy Court Meetings; records all acts as custodian for the Minutes of the Levy Court Meetings; advertises and posts County ordinances; countersigns warrants drawn on County funds. Issues marriage licenses and performs marriages (civil ceremonies) in the County.
- Sussex County Register of Wills purpose is to record wills and documents pertaining to estate matters in Sussex County, Delaware. The office is responsible for overseeing the appointments of personal representatives and for administering estate proceedings. This office is also held accountable for making sure that the estates are in compliance with the Delaware Law. All estate matters are maintained as permanent records.
- Sussex County Register of Deeds is responsible for indexing and maintaining copies of legal documents pertaining to land, mortgages, appointments, etc. Only the most recent deeds are in the office, however. Most have been transferred to the archives.
Sussex County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Sussex County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Sussex County genealogy or family history related sites.
Sussex Co. DE Books, Newspapers & Publications
Sussex Co. DE Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Delaware
- Delaware Vital Records Research Guide
- Delaware, Vital Record Index Cards, 1680-1934 (familysearch.org)
- Delaware, Vital Records, 1680-1962 (familysearch.org)
- Delaware, Births and Christenings, 1710-1896 (familysearch.org)
- Delaware, Marriages, 1713-1953 (familysearch.org)
- Delaware, Deaths and Burials, 1815-1955 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Sussex Co. DE Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Sussex Co. DE Census Records
Sussex Co. DE Cemeteries & Church Records
Sussex Co. DE Church & Bible Records
Sussex Co. DE Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Sussex Co. DE General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Delaware
- Sussex County, Delaware Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Sussex County History (sussexcountyde.gov)
- Time-Line, 1800 - 1899, Celia Steele & the broiler industry, Constitution, Early Colonists, English Rule, First Inhabitants, Map of 1795, Modern Sussex County, Old Christ Church, The County Seat, US Colored Troops, War of 1812, Zwaanendael
- History of Lewes, Delaware (search.ancestry.com)
- Sussex County, Delaware Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Sussex Co. DE Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Sussex County, Delaware (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Delaware - Counties - Sussex (cyndislist.com)
- Sussex County Delaware (genealogytrails.com)
- Sussex Co. DEGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Sussex County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Sussex Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Sussex Co. DE Immigration & Naturalization
Sussex Co. DE Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Sussex Co. DE Military Records
Sussex Co. DE Schools & Directories