New London County, Connecticut
New London County was established on May 10, 1666 and was formed as One of four original counties created in Connecticut. The county was named after London, England. The County Seat was New London (1666-1960).
Areas adjacent to New London County are Windham County, Kent County, Rhode Island, Washington County, Rhode Island, Middlesex County, Tolland County, Hartford County.
New London County vital records can be found at the Connecticut Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Connecticut for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for New London County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Connecticut Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application or Town or City Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
New London County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
New London Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. New London Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. New London Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
New London County Society and Family History Resources
A list of New London County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Connecticut Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Connecticut State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Colchester Historical Society, P.O. Box 13, 24 Linwood Avenue, Colchester, CT 06415; Phone:(860) 537-4230
- East Lyme Historical Society, P. O. Box 112, East Lyme, CT 06333; Phone: 860.739.6070
- Florence Griswold Museum, 96 Lyme Street, Old Lyme, CT 06371; 860-434-5542 tel
- Griswold Historical Society, Griswold, CT
- Lebanon Historical Society, P.O. Box 151 , 856 Trumbull Highway, Lebanon, CT 06249
- Lisbon Historical Society, c/o The Town Hall, 1 Newent Road, Lisbon, Connecticut 06351
- Mystic River Historical Society, 74 High Street, Mystic, CT 06340; Phone:(860) 536-4779
- New London County Historical Society, 11 Blinman Street, New London, CT 06320; Phone:(860) 443-1209
- Noank Historical Society, P.O. Box 9454, Noank, Connecticut 06340; Tel: 860-536-3021
- North Stonington Historical Society, 1 Wyassup Road, P.O.Box 134, North Stonington, Connecticut 06359
- Norwich Historical Society, 307 Main Street, Norwich, CT 06360; Tel: 860-886-1776
- Old Lyme Historical Society, PO Box 352, Old Lyme, CT 06371; (860) 434-0684
- Preston Historical Society, 15 Amos Road, Preston, CT 06365; 860-887-5828
- Sprague Historical Society, 76 Main St. 3rd Floor PO Box 162, Baltic, Connecticut 06330; Phone (860) 822-6867
- Stonington Historical Society, P.O. Box 103, 40 Palmer Street, Stonington, CT 06378; (860) 535-1131
- New London County, Connecticut Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- New London County, Connecticut Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for New London County (usgwarchives.net)
New London County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the importance of New London County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in Connecticut courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and frustrations of many Connecticut citizens. The chances are great that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some aspects of their lives in the New London County court records. Even if your ancestor is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
New London County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to New London County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
New London Co. CT Books, Newspapers & Publications
New London Co. CT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
New London Co. CT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
New London Co. CT Census Records
New London Co. CT Church & Cemeteries
- New London County, Connecticut, Cemetery Records, Volume I and II (search.ancestry.com)
- Memoranda of all the inscriptions in the old burying ground at Colchester, Conn. (search.ancestry.com)
- New London Co., Connecticut Graves (findagrave.com)
- New London County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- New London Co., Connecticut Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for New London County, Connecticut
- New London Co., Connecticut Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for New London County, Connecticut
- New London County, Connecticut Church Books (amazon.com)
New London Co. CT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
New London Co. CT General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Connecticut
- New London County, Connecticut Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A Modern history of New London County, Connecticut (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Montville, Connecticut : formerly the north parish of New London from 1640 to 1896 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Norwich, Connecticut : from its possession by the Indians to the year 1866 (search.ancestry.com)
- Old houses of the antient [sic] town of Norwich, 1660-1800 : with maps, illustrations, portraits, and genealogies (search.ancestry.com)
- History of New London, Connecticut : from the first survey of the coast in 1612 to 1852 (search.ancestry.com)
- New London County, Connecticut Wiki (familysearch.org)
- New London Co. CT Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- New London County, Connecticut (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Connecticut - Counties - New London (cyndislist.com)
- New London County Connecticut (genealogytrails.com)
- New London Co. CTGenweb (ctgenweb.org)
- New London County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- New London Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
New London Co. CT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
New London Co. CT Military Records
New London Co. CT Schools & Directories
- Norwich, Connecticut Directories, 1887-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- New London, Connecticut Directories, 1888, 1890-92 (search.ancestry.com)
- Connecticut City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Connecticut. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.