Mendocino County, California
Genealogy, History & Facts
Mendocino County, California Facts
When was Mendocino County, CA Created?
Mendocino County was established on February 18, 1850. This county derived its name from Cape Mendocino, which was probably named in honor of either Antonio de Mendoza, Viceroy of New Spain, 1535-1542 (who sent the Juan Cabrillo Expedition to this coast in 1542), or Lorenzo Suarez de Mendoza, Viceroy from 1580 to 1583. Mendocino is an adjective form of the family name of Mendoza.
Mendocino County, CA Vital Records
Where can find Mendocino County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Mendocino County vital records can be found at the California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1905, marriage records that occurred from 1949-1986 and 1998-1999, divorce records that occurred between 1962 and June, 1984. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Mendocino County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for California Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Local Registrar of Births and Death, 1120 S. Dora Street, Room 196, Ukiah, CA 95482; Office (707) 472-2772
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives California Marriage Project
- California Birth Index 1905 to 1995 from the California Department of Public Health, Center for Health Statistics
- California Birth Index, 1905-1995
- California Marriage Records 1960 to 1985 from the California Department of Health
- California, County Marriages, 1850-1952
- California Marriages, 1850-1877
- California, Marriage Index, 1960-1985
- California Divorce Index, 1966-1984
- Western States Marriage Index, 1809-2011
- California Death Index 1940 to 1997
- California Death Index, 1940-1997
- California, World War I Death Announcements, 1918-1921
- California Biographical Collection: Responses to Vital Record Inquiries, 1822-1964
Mendocino County, CA Census Records
What Mendocino County, CA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Mendocino County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mendocino Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mendocino Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mendocino Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another California census is the California State Census in 1852. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also California Census Records Research Guide.
Mendocino County, CA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Mendocino County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Mendocino County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in California courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless California residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Mendocino County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also California Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Mendocino County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 N State St, Ukiah, CA 95482
- Phone: (707) 463-4370
- Mendocino County Recorder-Clerk
- Address: 501 Low Gap Road, No.1020, Ukiah, CA 95482
- Phone: (707) 463-4376
- Birth / Death Records: 1859
- Marriage Records: 1859
- Land Records: 1852
- Mendocino County Clerk of Superior Court
- Probate Records: 1854
- Court Records: 1858
- Early California Wills
- BLM Land Records
Mendocino County, CA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Mendocino County, CA?
A list of Mendocino County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Californiia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Anderson Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 676, 12340 Hwy 128, Boonville, CA 95415; Phone: (707) 895-3207
- Mendocino County Historical Society, 603 W. Perkins Street, Ukiah, CA 95482-4726; Phone: (707) 462-6969
- Mendocino Historical Research Kelley House Museum, ~ Repository ~, 45007 Albion Street, P.O. Box 922, Mendocino, CA 95460; Phone: (707) -937-5791
- Mendocino Coast Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 762, Ft. Bragg 95437
- Mendocino County Heritage Network
- Mendocino County Library, Fort Bragg Branch, 499 Laurel Street, Fort Bragg, CA 95437; Phone: (707) 964-2020
- Mendocino County Museum, 400 East Commercial Street, Willits, California 95490; PHONE: (707) 459-2736
- California State Archives, Office of Secretary of State, 1020 O Street, Room 130, Sacramento, CA 95814
- California State Library, 914 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA 95814
- California Historical Society, 678 Mission Street, San Francisco 94105
- California Genealogical Society And Library, 2201 Broadway, Suite LL2, Oakland 94612-3017
Where can I connect with other Mendocino County, CA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- California Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mendocino County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Mendocino County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Mendocino County, CA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mendocino County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.