Los Angeles County, California
Genealogy, History & Facts
Los Angeles County, California Facts
When was Los Angeles County, CA Created?
Los Angeles County was established on February 18, 1850.
What is the County Seat of Los Angeles County, CA?
The County Seat is located in Los Angeles also, the county government website is http://www.lacounty.info
What counties are adjacent to Los Angeles County, CA?
Bordering Counties are Ventura County, Kern County, San Bernardino County, Orange County .
Los Angeles County, CA Vital Records
Where can find Los Angeles County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Los Angeles County vital records can be found at the California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1905, marriage records that occurred from 1949-1986 and 1998-1999, divorce records that occurred between 1962 and June, 1984. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Los Angeles County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for California Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Local Registrar of Births and Deaths, 313 North Figueroa Street, Room Lobby-1, Los Angeles, CA 90012; Birth (213) 240-7812, Death (213) 240-7816
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives California Marriage Project
- California Birth Index 1905 to 1995 from the California Department of Public Health, Center for Health Statistics
- California Birth Index, 1905-1995
- California Marriage Records 1960 to 1985 from the California Department of Health
- California, County Marriages, 1850-1952
- California Marriages, 1850-1877
- California, Marriage Index, 1960-1985
- California Divorce Index, 1966-1984
- Western States Marriage Index, 1809-2011
- California Death Index 1940 to 1997
- California Death Index, 1940-1997
- California, World War I Death Announcements, 1918-1921
- California Biographical Collection: Responses to Vital Record Inquiries, 1822-1964
Los Angeles County, CA Census Records
What Los Angeles County, CA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Los Angeles County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880
(free index), 1890
(fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Los Angeles Co.
Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Los Angeles Co.
Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Los Angeles Co.
Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another California census is the California State Census in 1852. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also California Census Records Research Guide.
Los Angeles County, CA Courthouse and Government Records
LosAngeles County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Los Angeles County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Los Angeles County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in California courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless California residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Los Angeles County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also California Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Los Angeles County, CA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Los Angeles County, CA?
A list of Los Angeles County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Californiia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Antelope Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1049, Lancaster, CA, 93584-1049
- Chatsworth Historical Society, Homestead Acre, 10385 Shadow Oak Drive, Chatsworth, CA ; (818) 882-5614
- Chinese Historical Society of Southern California, 411 Bernard St. , Los Angeles, CA 90012; 323.222.0856
- Duarte Historical Society, 777 Encanto Parkway, Duarte, California
- Jewish Genealogical Society Los Angeles, P.O. Box 55443, Sherman Oaks, CA 91413; 818-433-6599
- Little Landers Historical Society, P. O. Box 203, 10110 Commerce Avenue, Tujunga, CA 91042; Phone: (818) 352-3420
- Long Beach Historical Society, 4260 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach, California 90807; 562.424.2220
- Los Angeles Westside Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 10447, Marina del Rey, CA 90295-6447
- Manhattan Beach Historical Society and Museum, Post Office Box 3355, 1601 Manhattan Beach Boulevard, Manhattan Beach, California 90266; Phone: (310) 374-7575
- Mar Vista Historical Society, 12310 Venice Boulevard
- Pomona Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box 286, Pomona, CA 91769
- Pomona Valley Historical Society, 585 East Holt Avenue, Pomona, CA 91767; (909) 623-2198
- Questing Heirs Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 15102, Long Beach, California 90815
- Redondo Beach Historical Society, P.O. Box 978, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
- San Fernando Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box 3486 Winnetka, CA 91396-3486
- Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 221925 Newhall, CA 91322-1925 Phone: (661) 254-1275
- Santa Monica Historical Society Museum, 1350 7th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401; (310) 395-2290
- San Marino Historical Society, P.O. Box 80222, San Marino, CA 91108; 626-304-9375
- South Bay Cities Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 11069 Torrance, California 90510-1069
- The Southern Pacific Historical & Technical Society , 1523 Howard Access Rd Suite A, Upland, CA 91786-2582
- Southern California Genealogical Society, 417 Irving Drive, Burbank, CA. 91504; (818) 843-7247 or (818) THE-SCGS
- Venice Historical Society, P.O. Box 12844, Venice, California 90295; (310) 967-5170
- Whittier Area Genealogical Society P.O. Box 4367, Whittier, CA 90607-4367
- California State Archives, Office of Secretary of State, 1020 O Street, Room 130, Sacramento, CA 95814
- California State Library, 914 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA 95814
- California Historical Society, 678 Mission Street, San Francisco 94105
- California Genealogical Society And Library, 2201 Broadway, Suite LL2, Oakland 94612-3017
Where can I connect with other Los Angeles County, CA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Los Angeles County, CA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Los Angeles County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Los Angeles Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- California Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- California historical newspaper archives online
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978)
- Los Angeles County, California Books
- Star-News (Pasadena, California)
- Press-Telegram (Long Beach, California)
- Independent (Long Beach, California)
- Independent Press-Telegram (Long Beach, California)
- Long Beach Independent (Long Beach, California)
- Valley News (Van Nuys, California)
- The Van Nuys News (Van Nuys, California)
- Independent Star News (Pasadena, California)
- Pasadena Independent (Pasadena, California)
- The Independent (Pasadena, California)
- La Verne Leader (La Verne, California)
- Progress Bulletin (Pomona, California)
- Arcadia Tribune (Arcadia, California)
- Pasadena Independent Topic (Pasadena, California)
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current)
- Los Angeles County California Genealogy Books
Los Angeles Co. CA Cemeteries & Church Records
Los Angeles Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Los Angeles Co. CA General and History Websites
Los Angeles Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Los Angeles Co. CA Military Records
Los Angeles Co. CA Schools & Directories