Lawrence County, Arkansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lawrence County, Arkansas Facts
What is the County Seat of Lawrence County, AR?
The County Seat is located in Walnut Ridge (previous county seats was Davidsonville [originally named Lawrence] from 1816 to 1829, Jackson from 1829-1837, Smithville from 1837-1868, Clover Bend, Powhatan 1869-1887.) and in addition the county government website is www.arcounties.org/
Lawrence County, AR Vital Records
Where can find Lawrence County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lawrence County vital records can be found at the Arkansas Deptartment of Health has Birth & Death records since February 1, 1914, Marriage Records since January 1917 and Divorce Records since January 1923. You may go to the Lawrence County health department to obtain a Birth or Death certificates which can be issued while you wait. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Arkansas for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lawrence County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Lawrence Co. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Divorce Certificates, Death Certificates to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Arkansas Marriage Project
- Arkansas Births and Christenings, 1880-1893
- Arkansas Marriages, 1837-1944
- Arkansas Divorce Index, 1923-1939
- Arkansas, County Marriages Index, 1837-1957
- Arkansas Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages to 1850
- Arkansas Marriages, 1779-1992
- Arkansas, Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages, 1820-1949
- Arkansas Marriages, 1851-1900
- Arkansas Death Index, 1914-1950
Lawrence County, AR Census Records
What Lawrence County, AR census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Lawrence County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Lawrence Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Lawrence Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free online and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Arkansas Census Records Research Guide
Lawrence County, AR Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Lawrence County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Lawrence County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Arkansas courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Arkansas residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Lawrence County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Arkansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
All County Offices Records are located in the Courthouse at 315 West Main, Walnut Ridge 72476; 870-886-1110, unless otherwise noted.
- Lawrence County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: (870) 886-1112
- Court Records: 1816
- Land Records:1815
- Lawrence County Clerk
- Phone: (870) 886-1111
- Marriage Records:1821
- Probate Records:1817
- BLM Land Records
Lawrence County, AR Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lawrence County, AR?
A list of Lawrence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Arkansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lawrence County Historical Society, P.O. Box 92, Powhatan, AR 72458; 870-878-6555
- Arkansas History Commission, One Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201; 501.682.6900
- Arkansas Genealogical Society, 1411 Shady Grove Road, P.O. Box 908, Hot Springs, AR 71902-0908
- Arkansas Historical Association, 416 Old Main, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701; 479-575-5884
Where can I connect with other Lawrence County, AR Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Arkansas Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Arkansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lawrence County, Arkansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lawrence County
- Lawrence County, Arkansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Lawrence County, AR?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lawrence County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.