Madison County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Madison County, Alabama Facts
When was Madison County, AL Created?
Madison County was created on Dec. 13, 1808 from the Cherokee and Chickasaw Cession of 1806 (Additional land was added until the county achieved its current form in 1824).
What is the County Seat of Madison County, AL?
The County Seat is located in Huntsville (Huntsville also served as the temporary State capitol in 1819) and in addition the county government website is http://madisoncountyal.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Madison County, AL?
Bordering Counties are Lincoln County, Tennessee, Franklin County, Tennessee, Jackson County, Marshall County, Morgan County, Limestone County.
Madison County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Madison County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Madison County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Madison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Madison County Health Department has Birth Records from 1881 , Death records from 1881.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Madison County, AL Census Records
What Madison County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Madison County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Madison Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Madison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Madison County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
Madison County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Madison County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Madison County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Madison County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Madison County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 100 Northside Square, Huntsville, AL 35801-4820
- Phone: (256) 532-3300
- Court Records: 1808
- Divorce Records:
- Madison County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 100 North Side Square, Huntsville, AL 35801-3606
- Phone: (256) 532-3330
- Marriage Records: 1809 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1818
- Land Records: 1810
- Madison County Records Center - Huntsville-Madison County Public Library, PO Box 443, 35804; 256-532-5969
- Madison County Court Records - Including All Courts, Admins, Estate, Probate, Guardianship & Slave Records
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- Madison County USGenWeb Archives Project
- BLM Land Records
Madison County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Madison County, AL?
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Madison Station Historical Preservation Society, 18 Arnett St., Madison, AL 35758 ; Phone: 256-461-8938 EMAIL
- Huntsville-Madison County Historical Society, PO Box 666, Huntsville, AL 35804 ; Publication: Historic Huntsville Review
- Madison African-American Alliance Group, Sharon Gilbreath, President, P.O. Box 445, Madison, AL 35758; Phone: 256-430-5790 EMAIL
- Huntsville-Madison County Public Library
- Tennesee Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box 1568, Huntsville, Alabama 35807; Publication: Valley Leaves
- ALMADISO. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Madison County, Alabama. Interested individuals may want to check out the Madison County ALGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Madison County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Madison County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Madison County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Madison Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Madison Co. AL Cemeteries & Church Records
- See Also Statewide Cemetery Links for Alabama
- Madison County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Madison Co., Alabama Graves (findagrave.com)
- Madison Co., Alabama Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Madison County Cemetery Records
- Allison Cemetery
- Baker Cemetery
- Bibb Cemetery
- Brown Cemetery, New Hope
- Cameron Cemetery Partial
- Cedar Grove Cemetery, New Hope
- Chandler Cemetery
- Charity Cemetery, Partial
- Cherry Tree (Rigney) Cemetery
- Cloud Cemetery
- Cobb Cemetery, a partial listing
- Collier Cemetery
- Crowson Hill Cemetery
- Donaldson Family Cemetery
- Photo of the cemetery
- Douglass-Pettus Cemetery
- Drake Cemetery
- Benjamin Ellis Cemetery, Madison Cross Roads,
- Eva Court Road Cemetery, a partial listing
- East Cemetery
- Farley Cemetery, Madison
- Diagram of Cemetery Layout
- Fleming Cemetery
- Gipson Cemetery, a partial listing
- Glover Cemetery
- Golightly Cemetery, a partial listing
- Harris Family Cemetery, a partial listing
- Hayden Cemetery, in progress
- Hobbs Family Cemetery
- Jenkins Cemetery
- Jordan/Lanier Cemetery
- Joyner Cemetery
- Keel Cemetery - Complete Survey
- Kennamer Cemetery, Butler's Mill
- King Cemetery
- Lacy Cemetery
- Lawler Cemetery, Maysville
- "Lost" Cemetery
- Maddera Cemetery
- Madison Cemetery
- Memory Gardens Cemetery Partial
- Merrimack Cemetery, Huntsville, a partial listing
- Nelson Chapel Baptist Church Cemetery, Maysville
- New Hope Cemetery, a partial listing
- Pike Cemetery, a partial listing
- Pleas Mount Baptist Church Cemetery
- Ragsdale Cemetery
- Rodman Cemetery
- Sanford Cemetery, Brownsboro
- Shiloh United Methodist Church Cemetery, Ryland, in progress
- Spriggs Cemetery
- Sublett Cemetery
- Timmons Cemetary
- Vann Cemetery
- Vinson Cemetery
- Wright Cemetery
- Henry F. Worley Grave
- Madison Co., Alabama Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Madison County Church Records
- Autauga County Bible Records
- Madison County, Alabama Church Books (amazon.com)
Madison Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Madison Co. AL General and History Websites
Madison Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Madison Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Madison Co. AL Military Records