Winnebago County, Wisconsin
Winnebago County was founded on January 6, 1840 from Brown County, Calumet County, Fond du Lac County and Marquette County. The county was named for the Winnebago nation of Native Americans.
The Winnebago County Seat can be found in Oshkosh and the county government website is www.co.winnebago.wi.us
Bordering Counties in Winnebago County include Waupaca County (northwest), Outagamie County (northeast), Calumet County (east), Fond du Lac County (south), Green Lake County (southwest), Waushara County (west).
Populated Places in Winnebago County are Cities which consist of Appleton, Menasha, Neenah, Omro, Oshkosh; Towns consist of Algoma, Black Wolf, Clayton, Menasha, Neenah, Nekimi, Nepeuskun, Omro, Oshkosh, Poygan, Rushford, Utica, Vinland, Winchester, Winneconne, Wolf River; Villages consist of Winneconne.
Winnebago County vital records can be found at the Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Winnebago County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Wisconsin Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Adams County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1840 (as Wisconsin Territory), 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Winnebago Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Winnebago Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Winnebago Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Winnebago County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Winnebago County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hmong Cultural and Historical Society, 502 Waugoo Ave, Oshkosh, WI 54901; Phone: 920-426-4953
- Menasha Historical Society, 233 Sunset Dr, Menasha, WI 54952; Phone: 920-722-8969
- Neenah Historical Society, PO Box 343, Neenah, WI 54957-0343; Phone: 920-729-0244
- Omro Area Historical Society, PO Box 133, Omro, WI 54963; Phone: 920-685-6123
- Winchester Area Historical Society, PO Box 84, Larsen, WI 54947; Phone: 920-836-3363
- Winnebago County Historical and Archeological Society, 234 Church St, Oshkosh, WI 54901; Phone: 920-235-3091
- Winnebagoland Genealogical Society, 106 Washington Ave, Oshkosh, WI 54901-4985
- Winneconne Historical Society, PO Box 262, Winneconne, WI 54986; Phone: 920-582-7887
- Winnebago County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Winnebago County
- Winnebago County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Winnebago County
- USGenWeb Archives for Winnebago County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Winnebago County Courthouse and Government Records
Winnebago County Courthouse
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Winnebago County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Winnebago County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Winnebago county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
- Winnebago County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 415 Jackson Street, Oshkosh, WI 54901; Phone: 920.236.4888
- County was attached Brown County for county and judicial purposes from 1840–44;; Fond du Lac County, 1844–47. Some early records may be found there.
- Winnebago County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 920-236-4882
- Birth Records: 1876
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Death Records: 1863
- Land Records: 1837
- Winnebago County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 920-236-4831
- Probate Records: 1838
- Winnebago County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (920) 236-4848
- Court Records: 1848
- Winnebago County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Winnebago County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Winnebago County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Winnebago County genealogy or family history related sites.
Winnebago Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers Books & Publications Links for Wisconsin
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992) (genealogybank.com)
- Appleton Post Crescent (Appleton, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Daily Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Oshkosh Daily Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Post Crescent (Appleton, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Oshkosh Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Neenah Menasha Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Appleton Post (Appleton, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Appleton Motor (Appleton, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Appleton Crescent (Appleton, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Oshkosh Democrat (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Oshkosh True Democrat (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Appleton Daily Post (Appleton, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Neenah Menasha Daily Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Neenah Bulletin (Neenah, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Oshkosh Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Winnebago Anzeiger (Menasha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Winnebago County, Wisconsin Books (amazon.com)
- Winnebago County Wisconsin Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
- Search Wisconsin Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Wisconsin Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
Winnebago Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Winnebago Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Winnebago Co. WI Census Records
Winnebago Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Winnebago Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Winnebago Co. WI General and History Websites
Winnebago Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Winnebago Co. WI Military Records
Winnebago Co. WI Schools & Directories