Waukesha County, Wisconsin
Waukesha County was founded on January 31, 1846 from Milwaukee County. The county was named after Waugooshance, a Pottawatomi word meaning "little foxes" .
The Waukesha County Seat can be found in Waukesha and the county government website is http://www.waukeshacounty.gov/
Bordering Counties in Waukesha County include Washington County (north), Ozaukee County (northeast), Milwaukee County (east), Racine County (southeast), Walworth County (southwest), Jefferson County (west), Dodge County (northwest).
Populated Places in Waukesha County are Cities which consist of Brookfield, Delafield, Milwaukee, Muskego, New Berlin, Oconomowoc, Pewaukee, Waukesha; Towns consist of Brookfield, Delafield, Eagle, Genesee, Lisbon, Merton, Mukwonago, Oconomowoc, Ottawa, Summit, Waukesha, Vernon; Villages consist of Big Bend, Butler, Chenequa, Dousman, Eagle, Elm Grove, Hartland, Lac La Belle, Lannon, Menomonee Falls, Merton, Mukwonago, Nashotah, North Prairie, Pewaukee, Oconomowoc Lake, Sussex, Wales.
Waukesha County vital records can be found at the Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process..
You can search online for Waukesha County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Wisconsin Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Adams County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Waukesha Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Waukesha Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Waukesha Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Waukesha County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Waukesha County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Wisconsin (raogk.org)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, Division of Archives and Special Collections, Golda Meir Library, Room W250, PO Box 604, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI 53201-0604; Phone: (414) 229-5402
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1541, Waukesha, WI 53187-1541
- Waukesha County Historical Society & Museum, 101 W Main St, Waukesha, WI 53186; Phone: 262-521-2859
- Big Bend-Vernon Historical Society, PO Box 68, Big Bend, WI 53103-0068; Phone: 262-662-3082
- Elmbrook Historical Society, PO Box 292, Brookfield, WI 53008-0292; Phone: 262-783-6494
- Genesee Historical Society, PO Box 52, Genesee Depot, WI 53127-0052; Phone: 262-549-3239
- Hartland Historical Society, PO Box 54, Hartland, WI 53029; Phone: 262-367-2979
- Hawks Inn Historical Society, 426 Wells St, Delafield 53018-1419
- Menomonee Falls Historical Society, PO Box 91, Menomonee Falls, WI 53052-0091; Phone: 262-255-1776
- Muskego Historical Society, PO Box 137, Muskego, WI 53150; Phone: 262-895-7255
- New Berlin Historical Society, 5575 S Maberry Ln, New Berlin, WI 53146; Phone: 262-679-1783
- Oconomowoc Historical Society, 103 W Jefferson St, Oconomowoc, WI 53066-0969; Phone: 262-567-5272
- Pewaukee Area Historical Society, PO Box 104, Pewaukee, WI 53072; Phone: 262-691-0233
- Waukesha Engine Historical Society, 1000 W St Paul Ave, Waukesha, WI 53188; Phone: 262-549-2606
- Wisconsin Postal History Society, N95 W32259 County Line Rd, Hartland, WI 53029; Phone: 262-966-7096
- Waukesha County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Waukesha County
- Waukesha County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Waukesha County
- USGenWeb Archives for Waukesha County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Waukesha County Courthouse and Government Records
Waukesha County Courthouse
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Waukesha County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Waukesha County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Waukesha county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
- Waukesha County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 515 W. Moreland Blvd, Waukesha, WI 53188; Phone: 262.548.7010
- Waukesha County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 262-548-7583
- Birth Records: 1860
- Marriage Records: 1846
- Death Records: 1872
- Land Records: 1841
- Waukesha County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 262-548-7472
- Probate Records: 1847
- Waukesha County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (262) 896-8525
- Court Records: 1847
- Waukesha County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Waukesha County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Waukesha County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Waukesha County genealogy or family history related sites.
Waukesha Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers Books & Publications Links for Wisconsin
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992) (genealogybank.com)
- Waukesha Daily Freeman (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Waukesha Freeman (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Waukesha Plaindealer (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Freeman (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Waukesha Democrat (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- American Freeman (Prairieville, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Evening Journal (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Waukesha Journal (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Republican Freeman (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Waukesha County Democrat (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Oconomowoc Democrat (Oconomowoc, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Waukesha County, Wisconsin Books (amazon.com)
- Waukesha County Wisconsin Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
- Search Wisconsin Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Wisconsin Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
Waukesha Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Waukesha Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Waukesha Co. WI Census Records
Waukesha Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Waukesha Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Waukesha Co. WI General and History Websites
Waukesha Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Waukesha Co. WI Military Records
Waukesha Co. WI Schools & Directories