Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
Genealogy and Facts
Ozaukee County, Wisconsin genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Ozaukee Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Ozaukee County was founded on March 7, 1853 from Washington County. The county was named for the Ojibwe word for the Sauk nation.
The Ozaukee County Seat can be found in Port Washington and the county government website is www.co.ozaukee.wi.us/
Bordering Counties in Ozaukee County include Sheboygan County (north), Milwaukee County (south), Waukesha County (southwest), Washington County (west).
Populated Places in Ozaukee County are Cities which consist of Cedarburg, Mequon, Port Washington; Towns consist of Belgium, Cedarburg, Fredonia, Grafton, Port Washington, Saukville; Villages consist of Belgium, Fredonia, Grafton, Newburg, Saukville, Thiensville.
Ozaukee County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Ozaukee Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ozaukee Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ozaukee Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Ozaukee County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Ozaukee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, Division of Archives and Special Collections, Golda Meir Library, Room W250, PO Box 604, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI 53201-0604; Phone: (414) 229-5402
- Mequon Historical Society, 6100 W Mequon Rd 112N, Mequon, WI 53092; Phone: 262-242-3107
- Ozaukee County Historical Society, PO Box 206, Cedarburg, WI 53012
- Port Washington Historical Society, PO Box 491, Port Washington, WI 53074; Phone: 262-284-7240
- Saukville Area Historical Society, PO Box 80015, Saukville, WI 53080-0015; Phone: 262-268-9197
- Ozaukee County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ozaukee County
- Ozaukee County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ozaukee County
- USGenWeb Archives for Ozaukee County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Ozaukee County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Ozaukee County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Ozaukee County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ozaukee county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
- Ozaukee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 121 W. Main Street, Port Washington, WI 53074-0994; Phone: 262.238.9411
- Ozaukee County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 262-284-8260
- Birth Records: 1852
- Marriage Records: 1855
- Death Records: 1849
- Land Records: 1835
- Ozaukee County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Address: 1201 S. Spring Street, Port Washington, WI 53074-0994
- Phone: 262-284-8370
- Probate Records: 1849
- Ozaukee County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Address: 1201 S. Spring Street, Port Washington, WI 53074-0994
- Phone: (262) 284-8409
- Court Records: 1853
- Ozaukee County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Ozaukee County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Ozaukee County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Ozaukee County genealogy or family history related sites.
Ozaukee Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ozaukee Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Ozaukee Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Ozaukee Co. WI Census Records
Ozaukee Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Ozaukee Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ozaukee Co. WI General and History Websites
Ozaukee Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ozaukee Co. WI Military Records