Oneida County, Wisconsin
Genealogy, History & Facts
Oneida County, Wisconsin Facts
When was Oneida County, WI Created?
Oneida County was created on April 11, 1885 from Lincoln County. The county was named for the Oneida nation of Native Americans.
What is the County Seat of Oneida County, WI?
The County Seat is located in Rhinelander and the county government website is www.co.oneida.wi.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Oneida County, WI?
Bordering Counties are Vilas County (north), Forest County (east), Langlade County (southeast), Lincoln County (south), Price County (west).
What cities and towns are in Oneida County, WI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Cities which consist of Rhinelander; Towns consist of Cassian, Crescent, Enterprise, Hazelhurst, Lake Tomahawk, Little Rice, Lynne, Minocqua, Monico, Newbold, Nokomis, Pelican, Piehl, Pine Lake, Schoepke, Stella, Sugar Camp, Three Lakes, Woodboro, Woodruff.
Oneida County, WI Vital Records
Where can find Oneida County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Oneida County vital records can be found at the Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process..
You can search online for Oneida County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Wisconsin Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Wisconsin Marriage Project
- Earliest Registration Dates by County
- Pre-1907 Birth Index
- Wisconsin Births, 1820-1907
- Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926
- Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908
- Wisconsin, Divorce Index, 1965-1984
- Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997
- Wisconsin Marriage Index 1852-1907
- Wisconsin Marriage Index (selected entries pre-1907)
- Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997
- Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930
- Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907
- Pre-1892 Wisconsin Brides and/or Grooms from Maine State Archives Cards
- Wisconsin Death Index, 1959-1997
- Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968
- Pre-1907 Death Index
- Wisconsin Deaths, 1820-1907
- Wisconsin Divorce Index, 1965-1984
- 1959-1979 Death Index
- 1979-1984 Death Index
Oneida County, WI Census Records
What Oneida County, WI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Oneida County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Oneida Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
There are Wisconsin State censuses from 1895 and 1905. Also the Wisconsin Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index for 1820-1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Wisconsin Census Records Research Guide
Oneida County, WI Courthouse and Government Records
Oneida County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Oneida County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Oneida County.The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records. See Also Wisconsin Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Oneida County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 S. Oneida Avenue, P.O. Box 400, Rhinelander, WI 54501-0400; Phone: 715.369.6143
- County was attached to Lincoln County for county and judicial purposes from 1885–86. Some early records may be found there.
- Oneida County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 715-369-6150
- Birth Records: 1887
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Death Records: 1888
- Land Records: 1887
- Oneida County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 715-369-6159
- Probate Records: 1887
- Oneida County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (715) 369-6120
- Court Records: 1887
- Public Records of the Consolidated Court Automation Programs provides access to certain public records of the circuit courts of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin, Probate Estate Files, 1848-1935
- U.S., Indexed Early Land Ownership and Township Plats, 1785-1898
- BLM Land Records
Oneida County, WI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Oneida County, WI?
A list of Oneida County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Wisconsin Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Area Research Center - Wisconsin Historical Society History Center and Archives , 29270 County Highway G, Ashland, WI 54806-9339; Phone: (715) 685-2647
- Northland Historical Society, PO Box 325, Lake Tomahawk, WI 54539; Phone: 715-356-7423
- Northwoods Genealogical Society, PO Box 1132, Rhinelander, WI 54501-1132
- Rhinelander Historical Society, 9 S Pelham St, Rhinelander, WI 54501; Phone: 715-282-6120
- Three Lakes Historical Society, PO Box 250, Three Lakes, WI 54562; Phone: 715-546-3529
- Woodruff Historical Society, PO Box 851, Woodruff, WI 54568; Phone: 715-356-3582
- Wisconsin Area Research Center Network
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706-1488
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, PO Box 5106, Madison, WI 53705
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
Where can I connect with other Oneida County, WI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Oneida County, WI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Oneida County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Oneida Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Oneida Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Oneida Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Oneida Co. WI General and History Websites
Oneida Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Oneida Co. WI Military Records