Menominee County, Wisconsin
Genealogy, History & Facts
Menominee County, Wisconsin Facts
When was Menominee County, WI Created?
Menominee County was created on May 1, 1961 from Oconto County and Shawano County. The county was named for the Menominee nation of Native Americans .
What is the County Seat of Menominee County, WI?
The County Seat is located in Keshena and the county government website is www.co.menominee.wi.us/
What counties are adjacent to Menominee County, WI?
Bordering Counties are Oconto County (east), Shawano County (south), Langlade County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Menominee County, WI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Towns which include Menominee.
Menominee County, WI Vital Records
Where can find Menominee County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Menominee County vital records can be found at the Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process..
You can search online for Menominee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Wisconsin Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Wisconsin Marriage Project
- Earliest Registration Dates by County
- Pre-1907 Birth Index
- Wisconsin Births, 1820-1907
- Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926
- Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908
- Wisconsin, Divorce Index, 1965-1984
- Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997
- Wisconsin Marriage Index 1852-1907
- Wisconsin Marriage Index (selected entries pre-1907)
- Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997
- Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930
- Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907
- Pre-1892 Wisconsin Brides and/or Grooms from Maine State Archives Cards
- Wisconsin Death Index, 1959-1997
- Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968
- Pre-1907 Death Index
- Wisconsin Deaths, 1820-1907
- Wisconsin Divorce Index, 1965-1984
- 1959-1979 Death Index
- 1979-1984 Death Index
Menominee County, WI Courthouse and Government Records
Menominee County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Menominee County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Menominee County.The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records. See Also Wisconsin Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Menominee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: W3269 Courthouse Lane, Keshena, WI 54135-0279; Phone: 715.799.3311
- Menominee County was attached to Shawano County for judicial and some county purposes. Some early records may be found there.
- Menominee County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 715-799-3312
- Birth Records: 1961
- Marriage Records: 1961
- Death Records: 1961
- Land Records: 1961
- Menominee County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Address: 2008311 N. Main Street, Shawano, WI 54166
- Phone: 715-526-8631
- Probate Records: 1961
- Menominee County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (715) 799-3313
- Court Records: 1961
- Public Records of the Consolidated Court Automation Programs provides access to certain public records of the circuit courts of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin, Probate Estate Files, 1848-1935
- U.S., Indexed Early Land Ownership and Township Plats, 1785-1898
- BLM Land Records
Menominee County, WI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Menominee County, WI?
A list of Menominee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Wisconsin Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, Cofrin Library, 7th floor, University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, 2420 Nicolet Drive, Green Bay, WI 54311-7001; Phone: 920/465-2539
- Wisconsin Area Research Center Network
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706-1488
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, PO Box 5106, Madison, WI 53705
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
Where can I connect with other Menominee County, WI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Menominee County, WI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Menominee County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Menominee Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Menominee Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Menominee Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Menominee Co. WI General and History Websites
Menominee Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Menominee Co. WI Military Records