Wahkiakum County, Washington
Wahkiakum County was founded on April 26, 1854 from Cowlitz County. The county was named in honor of the Leader of Wahkiakum ("Tall Timber"), Native American tribe.
The Wahkiakum County Seat is situated in Cathlamet and the county government website is http://www.co.wahkiakum.wa.us/
Locations bordering Wahkiakum County are Pacific County (northwest), Lewis County (northeast), Cowlitz County (southeast), Columbia County, Oregon (southeast), Clatsop County, Oregon (southwest).
Cities and towns found in Wahkiakum County consists of Cathlamet.
The county was first settled in 1846, and from that time on settlers have found transportation to populated centers one of their foremost problems. Steamboat service on the Columbia River was always irregular so residents of the county volunteered their services over the years to build roads. In the 1930's, ferry services at Puget Island at last permitted county resident easy access to Portland. The county has depended on forest products and dairying as its primary pursuits.
Wahkiakum County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wahkiakum County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Wahkiakum County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wahkiakum Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Wahkiakum Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Wahkiakum Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Wahkiakum County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Wahkiakum County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Washington (raogk.org)
- Washington Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Southwest Regional Branch. 1129 Washington Street SE, PO Box 40238, Olympia, WA 98504. Phone 360) 753-1684.
- Lower Columbia Genealogical Society, PO Box 472, Longview, WA 98632-7306. The society is working on collecting and publishing local records and purchases materials, which are housed in the Genealogical Collection in the Longview Public Library.
- Longview (Cowlitz County) Family History Center, 1721 30th Ave, Longview, WA 98632. Phone: 360-425-8409.
- Wahkiakum County Historical Museum, 65 River St & Division, Cathlamet, WA 98612. Has a photography collection and exhibits of early day logging, fishing and pioneer life.
- Wahkiakum County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Wahkiakum County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Wahkiakum County (usgwarchives.net)
Wahkiakum County Courthouse and Government Records
Wahkiakum County Courthouse
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Wahkiakum County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Wahkiakum County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Wahkiakum County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
- Wahkiakum County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 64 Main St, Cathlamet WA 98612
- Courthouse hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Wahkiakum County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1868
- Land Records: 1858
- Wahkiakum County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. Mornings are best times to access records, except on court days, usually Monday. Copies are $2.00 for the 1st page, and $1.00 for each additional page. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Court Records: 1852
- Probate Records: 1890
- Wahkiakum County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office. Small office with limited time to assisted researchers. Will point you in the right direction.
- The Wahkiakum County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Wahkiakum County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wahkiakum County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Wahkiakum County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Wahkiakum Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wahkiakum Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wahkiakum Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Washington Court Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Wahkiakum Co. WA Census Records
Wahkiakum Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Wahkiakum Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wahkiakum Co. WA General and History Websites
Wahkiakum Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Wahkiakum Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wahkiakum Co. WA Military Records
Wahkiakum Co. WA Schools & Directories