Spokane County, Washington
Spokane County was founded on January 29, 1858 from part of Walla WaIla County. It was voted out of existence five years later by the Territorial Legislature and merged into Stevens County. Spokane County was recreated in October 30, 1879 from Stevens County The county was named for the Spokane Native American tribe.
The Spokane County Seat is situated in Spokane and the county government website is http://www.spokanecounty.org/
Locations bordering Spokane County are Stevens County (nortwest), Lincoln County (west), Pend Oreille County (north), Whitman County (south), Bonner County, Idaho (norteast), Kootenai County, Idaho (east), Benewah County, Idaho (southeast).
Cities and towns found in Spokane County consists of Airway Heights, Cheney, Country Homes, Deer Park, Fairchild AFB, Fairfield, Fairwood, Latah, Liberty Lake, Medical Lake, Millwood, Otis Orchards-East Farms, Rockford, Spangle, Spokane, Spokane Valley, Town and Country, Waverly.
The county was first visited by fur traders in 1810, who established Spokane House as a trading center. Two years later the Pacific Fur Company built Fort Spokane. Missionaries arrived in the county in the 1830s. The first permanent settlements in the county were established in the 1870s and the county's prosperity was assured with the arrival of the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1890.
Spokane County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Spokane County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Spokane County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Spokane Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Spokane County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Spokane County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Washington (raogk.org)
- Washington Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Eastern Washington Regional Archives, 960 Washington Street, Cheney, Washington 99004; Telephone: (509)235-7508. On the campus of Eastern Washington University in Cheney
- Eastern Washington Genealogical Society, PO Box 1826, Spokane, WA 99210-1826.
- Inland Empire Railway Historical Society, PO Box 3950, Spokane, WA 99220. Phone 509-982-2389.
- Rockford Historical Society, PO Box 107, Rockford, WA 99030.
- Southeast Spokane County Historical Society & Museum, PO Box 426, E 300 Main St, Fairfield, WA 99012. Phone 509-283-2193.
- Spokesman-Review Newspaper, Reference Library, PO Box 2160, Spokane, WA 99210-2160. Phone 509-459-5468.
- Spokane County Library, 4322 N Argonne Rd, Spokane, WA 99212-1853. Phone 59-924-4122.
- Spokane Public Library, 906 W Main Ave, Spokane, WA 99201-0976. Phone 509-444-5300. EWGS Holdings are here at the Spokane Public Library
- Spokane East Family History Center, E 13608 40th Ave, Spokane, WA. Phone 509-926-0551.
- Spokane Family History Center, 1717 E 30th Ave, Spokane, WA. Phone 509-455-7164.
- Spokane North Family History Center, 401 West Regina, Spokane, WA. Phone 509-466-4633.
- Spokane West Family History Center, 10405 West Melville Road, Cheney, WA. Phone 509-455-9735.
- Spokane County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Spokane County
- Spokane County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Spokane County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Spokane County (usgwarchives.net)
Spokane County Courthouse and Government Records
Spokane County Courthouse
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Spokane County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Spokane County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Spokane County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
- Spokane County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1116 West Broadway Avenue, Spokane WA 99260-0100
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Spokane County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1882 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1880
- Land Records: 1879
- Spokane County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1880
- Probate Records: 1878
- Spokane County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Spokane County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Spokane County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Spokane County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Spokane County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Spokane Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Spokane Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Spokane Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Washington Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Inventory of the county archives of Washington, no. 32. Spokane County (search.ancestry.com)
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Spokane Co. WA Census Records
Spokane Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Spokane Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Spokane Co. WA General and History Websites
Spokane Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Spokane Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Spokane Co. WA Military Records
Spokane Co. WA Schools & Directories