Skagit County, Washington
Genealogy and Facts
Skagit County, Washington genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Skagit Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Skagit County was founded on November 28, 1883 from Whatcom County. The county was named for the Skagit Native American tribe.
The Skagit County Seat is situated in Mount Vernon and the county government website is http://www.skagitcounty.net/
Locations bordering Skagit County are Whatcom County (north), Okanogan County (east), Chelan County (southeast), Snohomish County (south), Island County (southwest), San Juan County (west).
Cities and towns found in Skagit County consists of Alger, Bay View, Big Lake, Clear Lake, Conway, Edison, Lake Cavanaugh, Lake McMurray, Marblemount, Rockport.
The county has been settled since 1859; however gold strikes in the 1870’s brought in miners who later took up logging and farming after the gold gave out. In 1889 the introduction of a railroad into the county helped to increase its population. Today, Skagit County has a rich and diverse economic base. It is one of the state’s most productive vegetable and berry growing areas. Dairying and poultry raising are important economic activities and the county is also a producer of cement, steel and wood products.
Skagit County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Skagit Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Skagit County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Skagit County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch , Western Washington University, MS-9123 , 25th St and Bill McDonald Parkway. Phone: 1-360-650-7930.
- Skagit Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box 715, Conway, WA 98238-0715.
- Anacortes Museum Foundation & Museum, 1305 8th, Anacortes, WA 98221. Phone: 360-293-1915.
- Sedro-Wooley Museum , 725 Murdock St, Sedro-Wooley, WA 98284. Phone: 360-855-2390.
- Skagit County Historical Museum, PO Box 818, 501 S Fourth, LaConner, WA 98257. Phone: 360-466-3365.
- Mt Vernon Family History Center Library, 1700 Hazel St, Mt Vernon, WA. Phone: 360-424-7723..
- Skagit County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Skagit County
- Skagit County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Skagit County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Skagit County (usgwarchives.net)
Skagit County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Skagit County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Skagit County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Skagit County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Skagit County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Administrative Building, 1800 Continental Place, Mount Vernon WA 98273
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Skagit County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1891
- Land Records: 1872
- Skagit County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1884
- Probate Records: 1878
- Skagit County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Skagit County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Skagit County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Skagit County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Skagit Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Skagit Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Skagit Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Washington Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Skagit Co. WA Census Records
Skagit Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Skagit Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Skagit Co. WA General and History Websites
Skagit Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Skagit Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Skagit Co. WA Military Records
Skagit Co. WA Schools & Directories