Mason County, Washington
Genealogy and Facts
Mason County was founded on December 22, 1854 (orginially called Sawamish County until January 08, 1864) from King County. The county was named in honor of Charles H. Mason (1830–1859), 1st Secretary of Washington Territory.
The Mason County Seat is situated in Shelton and the county government website is http://www.co.mason.wa.us/
Locations bordering Mason County are Jefferson County (northwest), Kitsap County (northeast), Pierce County (southeast), Thurston County (southeast), Grays Harbor County (southwest).
Cities and towns found in Mason County consists of Allyn-Grapeview, Shelton, Kamilche, Skokomish.
Much of the county's early history centered around road building as the early settlers were forced to cut through heavy stands of timber to gain access to trading centers. Today,Mason County's primary economic activity is in the production of wood products and logging.
Mason County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mason Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Mason Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Mason Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Mason County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Mason County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Southwest Regional Branch. 1129 Washington Street SE, PO Box 40238, Olympia, WA 98504. Phone 360) 753-1684.
- Mason County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1535, Shelton, WA 98544-1535. Membership available. Newly started library of genealogical materials.
- Mason County Historical Society & Museum, PO Box 1366, Railroad Ave and 5th St, Shelton, WA 98584. Membership available. Operates the Mason County Historical Society Museum and an exhibit at the Mason County Fairgrounds. Exhibits of early county history. Collection includes files on early history, families, newspapers, census, probate and death records, and extensive photo display.
- Timberland Regional Library, 415 Airdustrial Way SW, Olympia (Thurston County), WA 98501-5799. Phone 360-943-5001
- Mason County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mason County
- Mason County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mason County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Mason County (usgwarchives.net)
Mason County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Mason County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Mason County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Mason County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Mason County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Courthouse Bldg. I - 411 N 5th St, Shelton WA 98584-3466
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Mason County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1892
- Land Records: 1856
- Mason County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1871
- Probate Records: 1889
- Mason County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Mason County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mason County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Mason County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Mason Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mason Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mason Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Washington Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Mason Co. WA Census Records
Mason Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Mason Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mason Co. WA General and History Websites
Mason Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Mason Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mason Co. WA Military Records
Mason Co. WA Schools & Directories