Lincoln County, Washington
Lincoln County was founded on November 24, 1883 from Whitman County. The county was named in honor of Abraham Lincoln (1809–1865), 16th U.S. President.
The Lincoln County Seat is situated in Davenport and the county government website is http://www.co.lincoln.wa.us/
Locations bordering Lincoln County are Ferry County (north), Stevens County (northeast), Spokane County (east), Whitman County (southeast), Adams County (south), Grant County (west), Okanogan County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Lincoln County consists of Almira, Creston, Davenport, Harrington, Odessa, Reardan, Sprague, Wilbur.
It was first settled by former miners and government freighters, and its county seat, Davenport, was located by a spring on the trail to Walla Walla. In 1880 Fort Spokane was founded on the northern edge of the county to protect the settlers from the Indians
Lincoln County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lincoln County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Lincoln County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lincoln Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Lincoln County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Lincoln County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Washington (raogk.org)
- Washington Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Eastern Washington Regional Archives, 960 Washington Street, Cheney, Washington 99004; Telephone: (509)235-7508. On the campus of Eastern Washington University in Cheney
- Big Bend Historical Society, PO Box 523, Wilbur, WA 99185-0166. Phone 509-647-5863.
- Lincoln County Historical Society & Museum, Box 585, Davenport, WA 99122. Phone 509-725-6711.
- Odessa Historical Museum, W 4th and Elm, Odessa, WA 99159. Phone 509-982-2539. Exhibits show how the early settlers, who were mainly German-Russian wheat farmers, lived, worked and played in the Odessa countryside when Odessa was first settled at the turn of the century. Photographs and family histories are also collected.
- Lincoln County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Lincoln County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Lincoln County (usgwarchives.net)
Lincoln County Courthouse and Government Records
Lincoln County Courthouse
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Lincoln County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Lincoln County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Lincoln County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
- Lincoln County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 450 Logan Street, Davenport WA 99122
- Courthouse hours: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Lincoln County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1883 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1884
- Land Records: 1883
- Lincoln County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1884
- Probate Records: 1886
- Lincoln County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Lincoln County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Lincoln County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lincoln County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Lincoln County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lincoln Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lincoln Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lincoln Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Washington Court Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Inventory of the county archives of Washington, no. 22. Lincoln County (Davenport) (search.ancestry.com)
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Lincoln Co. WA Census Records
Lincoln Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Lincoln Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lincoln Co. WA General and History Websites
Lincoln Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Lincoln Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lincoln Co. WA Military Records
Lincoln Co. WA Schools & Directories