Kittitas County, Washington
Genealogy and Facts
Kittitas County, Washington genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Kittitas Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Kittitas County was founded on November 24, 1883 from Yakima County. The county was named for the Kittitas tribe word of uncertain meaning, with popular translations ranging from "white chalk" to "land of the plenty".
The Kittitas County Seat is situated in Ellensburg (also known as Robber's Roost in 1867 and Ellen's Burgh in 1880) and the county government website is http://www.co.kittitas.wa.us/
Locations bordering Kittitas County are Chelan County (north), Douglas County (northeast), Grant County (east), Yakima County (south), Pierce County (west), King County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Kittitas County consists of Cle Elum, Easton, Ellensburg, Kittitas, Ronald, Roslyn, Snoqualmie Pass, South Cle Elum, Thorp, Vantage.
Europeans first visited the county in 1812 when members of the Pacific Fur Company passed through the region. Prior to the Civil War, Captain George McClellan supervised military road construction through the county.
Kittitas County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Kittitas Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Kittitas County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Kittitas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- State Archives Central Branch Bledsoe & Washington Archives Building, Central Washington University, 400 E. University Way, Mail Stop 7547, Ellensburg, Washington 98926-7547. Phone: 509-963-2136. Research Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon and 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Kittitas County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1342, 413 N Main, Suite I, Ellensburg, WA 98926-1342. Membership available. Operates Kittitas County Genealogical Society Library. Collection includes an obituary file. Has genealogical reference books for sale.
- Northern Kittitas County Genealogical Society, PO Box 535, Cle Elum, WA 98922.
- Cle Elum Historical Society, 202 Reed St, Cle Elum, WA 98922. Phone:(509) 674-5882
- Roslyn Historical Museum Society, PO Box 281, Roslyn, WA 98941. 509-649-2355
- Ellensburg Public Library, 209 N Ruby St, Ellensburg, WA 98926-3338. Phone 509-962-7250. Collection includes non-cataloged oral history cassettes and transcripts, photographs, some local families' papers, local women's club's records. Has index of local newspapers, microfilmed water rights records, Sanborn maps and school annuals.
- Family History Center Ellensburg, 1700 Brick Rd, Ellensburg, WA. Phone 509-925-5192.
- Kittitas County Historical Museum, 114 E 3rd Ave, PO Box 265, Ellensburg, WA 98926. Phone 509-925-3778. Collections include non-cataloged photographs, Rollinger Brothers petrified wood collection, early business displays, pioneer kitchen and Indian artifacts
- Kittitas County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Kittitas County
- Kittitas County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Kittitas County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Kittitas County (usgwarchives.net)
Kittitas County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Kittitas County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Kittitas County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Kittitas County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Kittitas County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 205 W 5th Ave, Ellensburg WA 98926-2887
- Courthouse hours: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Kittitas County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1872 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1882
- Land Records: 1882
- Kittitas County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1884
- Probate Records: 1884
- Kittitas County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Kittitas County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Kittitas County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Kittitas County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Kittitas Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Kittitas Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Kittitas Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Washington Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Kittitas Co. WA Census Records
Kittitas Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Kittitas Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Kittitas Co. WA General and History Websites
Kittitas Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Kittitas Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Kittitas Co. WA Military Records
Kittitas Co. WA Schools & Directories