Kitsap County, Washington
Kitsap County was founded on July 13, 1857 (originally named Slaughter County and was renamed in 1857) from King County and Jefferson County. The county was named in honor of Chief Kitsap (d. 1860), leader of the Suquamish tribe.
The Kitsap County Seat is situated in Port Orchard and the county government website is http://www.kitsapgov.com/
Locations bordering Kitsap County are Island County (northeast), Snohomish County (east), King County (southeast), Pierce County (southeast), Mason County (southwest), Jefferson County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Kitsap County consists of Bainbridge Island, Bangor, Bremerton, East Port Orchard, Erlands Point-Kitsap Lake, Indianola, Kingston, Manchester, Navy Yard City, Parkwood, Port Orchard, Poulsbo, Silverdale, Suquamish, Tracyton.
geographical features of the county were named by the early explorers of Puget Sound. Captain George Vancouver named the Hood Canal, Foulweather Bluff, Admiralty Inlet and Port Orchard. In the 1850s, the county’s lumber mills provided lumber to build San Francisco. In 1891 the U.S. Navy established the Puget Sound Navy Yard at Bremerton. Today, the county’s economy is based on naval installations, wood products and agriculture.
Kitsap County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Kitsap County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Kitsap County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Kitsap Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Kitsap Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Kitsap Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Kitsap County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Kitsap County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Washington (raogk.org)
- Washington Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Puget Sound Genealogical Society, 1026 Sidney Ave, Suite 110, Port Orchard, WA 98366
- Bainbridge Island Historical Society, 7650 NE High School Rd, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110-2621. Phone 206-842-2773
- Kitsap County Historical Society & Museum, PO Box 903, Bremerton, WA 98337. Phone 360-479-6226
- USS Turner Joy/Bremerton Historic Ships Association, 300 Washington Beach Ave #8, Bremerton, WA 98310. Phone 360-392-2457
- Puget Sound Regional Branch—Washington State Archives, Pritchard-Fleming Bldg., 3000 Landerholm Circle SE, MS-N100, Bellevue, WA 98007-6484
- Bainbridge Island Historical Museum, PO Box 11653, 7650 NE High School Rd, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110. Phone 206-842-2773.
- Log Cabin Museum, 416 Sidney Ave, Port Orchard, WA 98366. Phone 360-876-3693.
- Pope and Talbot Historical Museum, PO Box 217, Port Gamble, WA 98366-0217. Phone 360-297-3341.
- Port Gamble Museum, (www.ptgamble.com) PO Box 85, Port Gamble, WA 98364. Phone 360-297-8074. Fax 360-297-7455.
- Kitsap County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Kitsap County
- Kitsap County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Kitsap County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Kitsap County (usgwarchives.net)
Kitsap County Courthouse and Government Records
Kitsap County Courthouse
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Kitsap County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Kitsap County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Kitsap County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
- Kitsap County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 614 Division St., Port Orchard WA 98366-4614
- Courthouse hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Kitsap County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Land Records: 1857
- Kitsap County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1861
- Probate Records: 1888
- Kitsap County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Kitsap County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Kitsap County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Kitsap County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Kitsap County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Kitsap Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Kitsap Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Kitsap Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Washington Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Kitsap Co. WA Census Records
Kitsap Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Kitsap Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Kitsap Co. WA General and History Websites
Kitsap Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Kitsap Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Kitsap Co. WA Military Records
Kitsap Co. WA Schools & Directories