Island County was founded on January 06, 1853 from Thurston County. The county was named for Whidbey and Camano Islands.
The Island County Seat is situated in Coupeville (the county seat was Coveland from 1853-1864) and the county government website is http://www.islandcounty.net/
Locations bordering Island County are Snohomish County (east), Kitsap County (southwest), Jefferson County (west), San Juan County (northwest), Skagit County (north).
Cities and towns found in Island County consists of Ault Field , Camano, Clinton, Freeland.
The county was first settled by I. N. Ebey in 1850 and later by Captain Thomas Coupe in 1852. The U.S. Naval Air Station on Whidbey Island created an economic revival in the county when it was founded in 1942. Its county seat, Coupeville, is now a preserved historic town. Today the main economic activities in the county are government, farming, fishing and tourism.
Island County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Island County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Island County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Island Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Island Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Island Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Island County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Island County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Washington (raogk.org)
- Washington Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Genealogical Society of South Whidbey Island, PO Box 976, Langley, WA 98260.
- San Juan County Genealogical Society, 338 Shoreland Dr, Lopez Island, WA 98261.
- Sno-Isle Genealogical Society, PO Box 63, Edmonds, WA 98020-0063.
- Whidbey Island Genealogical Searchers, PO Box 627, Oak Harbor, WA 98277-0627.
- Island County Historical Society, 902 NW Alexander, Coupeville, WA 98239. Phone 360-678-3310.
- South Whidbey Historical Society , 312-2nd St, Langley, WA 98260. Phone 360-579-3519.
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch , Western Washington University, MS-9123 , 25th St and Bill McDonald Parkway. Phone: 1-360-650-7930.
- Island County Historical Society Museum, PO Box 305, 908 NW Alexander St, Coupeville, WA 98239. Phone 360-678-3310. Museum's collections and displays illustrate early Whidbey Island history. A walking tour of nearby sites is available. Museum has a library and researchers can write to the librarian for assistance. Their collection includes census records, oral histories, newspaper clippings, manuscripts and a local book collection. A photography collection is being cataloged to improve access by the public. Reference can be given to individuals in the community with private collections of note.
- South Whidbey Historical Museum, PO Box 612, 312 Second St, Langley, WA 98260. Phone 360-730-3367. Housed in the home of Langley's founder, Jacob Anthes, the museum includes displays and
memorabilia of south Whidbey Island.
- Island County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Island County
- Island County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Island County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Island County (usgwarchives.net)
Island County Courthouse and Government Records
Island County Courthouse
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Island County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Island County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Island County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
- Island County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 NE 7th Street, PO Box 5000, Coupeville WA 98239-5000
- Courthouse hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Island County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Land Records: 1853
- Island County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. After approximately 1980 the hard copy of civil and probate files are retained in the office until they are microfilmed and transferred to the Archives in Bellingham, Washington. All hard copy before 1980 is stored at the Archives. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Court Records: 1853
- Probate Records: 1891
- Island County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Island County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Island County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Island County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Island County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Island Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Island Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Island Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Washington Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Washington Court Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Island Co. WA Census Records
Island Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Island Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Island Co. WA General and History Websites
Island Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Island Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Island Co. WA Military Records
Island Co. WA Schools & Directories