Adams County, Washington
Genealogy and Facts
Adams County, Washington genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Adams Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Adams County was founded on November 28, 1883 from Whitman County. The county was named in honor of John Adams (1735–1826), 2nd U.S. President.
The Adams County Seat is situated in Ritzville and the county government website is http://www.co.adams.wa.us
Locations bordering Adams County are Lincoln County (north), Whitman County (east), Franklin County (south), Grant County (west).
Cities and towns found in Adams County consists of Hatton, Lind, Othello, Ritzville, Washtucna
It was first visited by European fur traders in 1811 and early travelers first passed through the county on the Colville Road in 1826. The county was first settled in 1869 and later attracted a large number of hardy Russian-German immigrants. The county's economy is primarily agricultural with wheat the most important crop. Barley, oats, beans and peas are also grown.
Adams County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Adams Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Adams Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Adams Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Adams County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Adams County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Adams County Historical Society, Box 526, Lind WA 99341
- Washington State Archives, Eastern Washington Regional Archives, 960 Washington Street, Cheney, Washington 99004; Telephone: (509)235-7508. On the campus of Eastern Washington University in Cheney
- Mid-Columbia Library [Service center - not open to the public], 4101 E Lattin Rd, West Richland, WA 99353. Phone 509-627-0285. Fax 509-545-2054. The following is a branch of this library system:
- Othello Library, 101 E Main St, Othello, WA 99344. Phone 509-488-9683. Fax 509-488-5321.
- Othello Family History Center Library, 12th & Rainer, Othello, WA 99344. Phone 509-488-6412.
- Ritzville Family History Center Library, 506 S Weber Rd, Ritzville, WA 99169. Phone 509-659-0932.
- Adams County Historical Society Museum, PO Box 526, First St, Lind, WA 99341. Phone 509-677-3393.
- Burroughs Historic Home, PO Box 106, Ritzville, WA 99169. Phone 509-659-0274.
- Othello Community Museum, PO Box 121, 3rd and Larch, Othello, WA 99344. Phone 509-488-2420.
- Greater Othello Chamber of Commerce , 33 E Larch, Othello, WA 99344-1335.
Phone 509-488-2683. Fax 488-3123.
- Ritzville Area Chamber of Commerce, PO Box 122, 111 N Washington St, Ritzville, WA 99169-0122. Phone 509-659-1936.
- Adams County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Adams County
- Adams County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Adams County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Adams County (usgwarchives.net)
Adams County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Adams County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Adams County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Adams County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Adams County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 210 W Broadway, Ritzville 99169
- Adams County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Phone: (509) 659-3247
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1891
- Land Records: 1884
- Adams County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Phone: (509) 659-3257
- Court Records: 1885
- Probate Records: 1890
- Adams County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Adams County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Adams County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Adams County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Adams Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Adams Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Adams Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Washington Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Inventory of the county archives of Washington, no. 1. Adams County (Ritzville) (search.ancestry.com)
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Adams Co. WA Census Records
Adams Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Adams Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Adams Co. WA General and History Websites
Adams Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Adams Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Adams Co. WA Military Records
Adams Co. WA Schools & Directories