Stafford County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Stafford County, Virginia Facts
When was Stafford County, VA Created?
Stafford County was established on 1664 from Westmoreland County. This county was named for Stafford, England.
What is the County Seat of Stafford County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Stafford also, the county government website is www.co.stafford.va.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Stafford County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Fauquier County (northwest), Prince William County (north), Charles County, Maryland (east), King George County (southeast), Caroline County (south), Spotsylvania County (southwest), Culpeper County (west).
What cities and towns are in Stafford County, VA?
Cities and towns located in Stafford County include Aquia Harbour, Falmouth, Garrisonville, Stafford, Hartwood and White Oak .
Stafford County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Stafford County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Stafford County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Stafford County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Stafford Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Stafford County Health Department, 1300 Courthouse Road, PO Box 27, Stafford, VA 2255; 540-659-3101
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Stafford County, VA Census Records
What Stafford County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Stafford County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Stafford Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Stafford Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Stafford Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Stafford County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Stafford County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Stafford County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Stafford County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Many pre-Civil War county court records were lost to vandalism during the war. Scattered years of deeds, wills, and orders have survived as has an old General Index.
Old Stafford County Virginia Courthouse
- Stafford County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 69, 1300 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA 22555-0069
- Phone: (540) 658-8750
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Land Records: 1686
- Court Records: 1664
- Probate Records: 1664
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Stafford County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Stafford County, VA?
A list of Stafford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Stafford County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1664, Stafford, VA 22555
- The Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society, Post Office Box 716, Montross, Virginia 22520; (804) 493-1862
- Central Rappahannock Regional Library, 2001 Parkway Boulevard, Stafford, VA 22554, (540) 659-4909
- Central Rappahannock Heritage Center, 900 Barton Street (in the old Maury School building). Fredericksburg, VA; ph: 540-373-3704
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Stafford County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Stafford Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Stafford County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Stafford County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Stafford County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Stafford Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Stafford Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Stafford Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Stafford Co. VA General and History Websites
Stafford Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Stafford Co. VA Military Records