King George County, Virginia
Genealogy and Facts
King George County, Virginia genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal King George Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
King George County was founded on November 24, 1720 from Richmond County (Part of Westmoreland County was added in 1777) . This county was named for George I of Great Britain.
The King George County Seat is located in King George also, the county government website is www.king-george.va.us/ .
Areas bordering to King George County are Charles County, Maryland (north), Caroline County (south), Essex County (south), Westmoreland County (east), and Stafford County (west).
Cities and towns located in King George County include Arnolds Corner, Berthaville, Dahlgren, Dogue, Fairview Beach, Jersey, King George, Ninde, Owens, Passapatanzy, Port Conway, Rollins Fork, Sealston, Shiloh and Weedonville .
King George County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
King George Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. King George Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. King George Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
King George County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of King George County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Central Rappahannock Heritage Center, 900 Barton Street (in the old Maury School building). Fredericksburg, VA; ph: 540-373-3704
- King George Historical Society, P.O. Box 424, King George, VA 22485
- King George County Museum and Research Center, Old Jail, 9483 Kings Highway (Route 3), King George, VA 22485, (540) 775-3322
- Lewis Egerton Smoot Memorial Library, Route 3, King George, VA 22485, (540) 775-7951
- Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 716, Montross, VA 22520
- Local Virginia Researchers, Find a local researcher or become a local researcher.
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023; Telephone (804) 285-8954; Please note that because of our close proximity to the Library of Virginia and the Virginia Historical Society, the Virginia Genealogical Society does not maintain a research facility or surname material.
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
Mail: P.O.Box 7311, 23221-0311; Tuesday-Saturday 10-5 and Sunday 1-5 (galleries only)
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- King George County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- King George County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in King George County
- King George County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for King George County
- King George County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in King George Co. Virginia
King George County Courthouse and Government Records
KingGeorge County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently forget the value of King George County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the King George County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in King George county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Records fragmented.
Had one will book, an early marriage register, and an order book "carried away during the Civil War." A few years ago the will book was deposited in the Virginia Historical Society.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
- King George County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 9483 Kings Highway, Suite 3, King George, VA 22485-3444
- Phone: (540) 775-3322
- Marriage Records: 1786
- Land Records: 1721
- Court Records: 1721
- Probate Records: 1721
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
King George County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to King George County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite King George County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
King George Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
King George Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
King George Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
King George Co. VA Census Records
King George Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
King George Co. VA Church & Bible Records
King George Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
King George Co. VA General and History Websites
King George Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
King George Co. VA Military Records