Essex County, Virginia
Essex County was founded on April 26, 1694 from Old Rappahhannock County . This county was named for Essex, United Kingdom.
The Essex County Seat is located in Tappahannock also, the county government website is www.essex-virginia.org/ .
Areas bordering to Essex County are Westmoreland County (north), Richmond County (northeast), Middlesex County (southeast), King and Queen County (south), Caroline County (west), King George County (northwest).
Cities and towns located in Essex County include Tappahannock.
Essex County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Essex County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Essex Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Essex County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Essex Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Essex Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Essex Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Essex County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Essex County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia (raogk.org)
- Essex Public Library, Highway 17, Tappahannock, VA 22560; (804) 443-4945
- Essex County Museum, P. O. Box 404, Tappahannock, Virginia 22560,
- Essex County Historical Society, P. O. Box 2566 ,Tappahannock, Virginia 22560
- Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library, 8346 Mary Ball Road, Lancaster, Virginia 22503, (804) 462-7280; We are non-profit organization with an extensive historical and genealogical library with microfilms of all court records available at the Library of Virginia. In addition, we have all known published abstracts of land, court orders and deeds, in addition to the microfilm. We also boast a sizeable military records collection for the Northern Neck. Our focus is on Lancaster, Northumberland, Richmond, Westmoreland, Middlesex and Essex Counties, though we have a large body of material on almost every county in Virginia. Our web site has a a catalogue of over 3,100 items that is searchable by topic, author or title.
- Virginia Genealogy Network (plus.google.com)
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Essex County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Essex County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Essex County
- Essex County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Essex County
- Essex County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Essex Co. Virginia
Essex County Courthouse and Government Records
Essex County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Essex County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Essex County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Essex county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Courthouse also has records from Old Rappahannock County.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
- Essex County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 445, 305 Prince Street, Tappahannock, VA 22560
- Phone: (804) 443-3541, (804) 443-4381
- Marriage Records: 1804
- Land Records: 1692
- Court Records: 1692
- Probate Records: 1692
- Essex County Health Department, 423 North Church Lane, P.O. Box 206, Tappahannock, VA 22560; 804-443-3396
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Essex County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Essex County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Essex County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Essex Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Essex Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Essex Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Virginia Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Virginia Court Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Essex County wills and deeds, 1714-1717 (search.ancestry.com)
- Essex County wills and deeds, 1711-1714 (search.ancestry.com)
- Essex County records, 1703-1706 (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Essex Co. VA Census Records
Essex Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Essex Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Essex Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Essex Co. VA General and History Websites
Essex Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Essex Co. VA Military Records