Essex County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Essex County, Virginia Facts
When was Essex County, VA Created?
Essex County was established on April 26, 1694 from Old Rappahhannock County . This county was named for Essex, United Kingdom.
What is the County Seat of Essex County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Tappahannock also, the county government website is www.essex-virginia.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Essex County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Westmoreland County (north), Richmond County (northeast), Middlesex County (southeast), King and Queen County (south), Caroline County (west), King George County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Essex County, VA?
Cities and towns located in Essex County include Tappahannock.
Essex County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Essex County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Essex County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Essex County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Essex Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Essex County Health Department, 423 North Church Lane, P.O. Box 206, Tappahannock, VA 22560; 804-443-3396
- Essex County, Virginia Marriages, 1655-1900
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Essex County, VA Census Records
What Essex County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Essex County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Essex Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Essex Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Essex Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Essex County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Essex County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Essex County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Essex County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse also has records from Old Rappahannock County.
- Essex County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 445, 305 Prince Street, Tappahannock, VA 22560
- Phone: (804) 443-3541, (804) 443-4381
- Marriage Records: 1804
- Land Records: 1692
- Court Records: 1692
- Probate Records: 1692
- Essex County wills and deeds, 1714-1717
- Essex County wills and deeds, 1711-1714
- Essex County records, 1703-1706
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Essex County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Essex County, VA?
A list of Essex County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Essex Public Library, Highway 17, Tappahannock, VA 22560; (804) 443-4945
- Essex County Museum, P. O. Box 404, Tappahannock, Virginia 22560,
- Essex County Historical Society, P. O. Box 2566 ,Tappahannock, Virginia 22560
- Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library, 8346 Mary Ball Road, Lancaster, Virginia 22503, (804) 462-7280; We are non-profit organization with an extensive historical and genealogical library with microfilms of all court records available at the Library of Virginia. In addition, we have all known published abstracts of land, court orders and deeds, in addition to the microfilm. We also boast a sizeable military records collection for the Northern Neck. Our focus is on Lancaster, Northumberland, Richmond, Westmoreland, Middlesex and Essex Counties, though we have a large body of material on almost every county in Virginia. Our web site has a a catalogue of over 3,100 items that is searchable by topic, author or title.
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Essex County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Essex Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Essex County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Essex County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Essex County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Essex Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Essex Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Essex Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Essex Co. VA General and History Websites
Essex Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Essex Co. VA Military Records