Dickenson County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Dickenson County, Virginia Facts
When was Dickenson County, VA Created?
Dickenson County was established on February 27, 1880 from Russell County, Wise County and Buchanan County . This county was named for William J. Dickinson, member of the Virginia House of Delegates.
What is the County Seat of Dickenson County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Clintwood also, the county government website is www.dickensoncountyvirginia.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Dickenson County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Buchanan County (northeast), Russell County (southeast), Wise County (southwest), Pike County, Kentucky (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Dickenson County, VA?
Cities and towns located in Dickenson County include Clinchco, Clintwood and Haysi.
Dickenson County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Dickenson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Dickenson County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Dickenson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Dickenson Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Dickenson County Health Department, PO Box 768, 334 Brush Creek Rd, Clintwood, Va 24228; Phone: 276-926-4979
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Dickenson County, VA Census Records
What Dickenson County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Dickenson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Dickenson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Dickenson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1880. Dickenson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Dickenson County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Dickenson County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Dickenson County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Dickenson County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Dickenson County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: Box 190, 293 Clintwood Main Street, Clintwood, VA 24228-0190
- Phone: (276) 926-1616
- Marriage Records: 1880
- Land Records: 1880
- Court Records: 1880
- Probate Records: 1880
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Dickenson County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Dickenson County, VA?
A list of Dickenson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- The Virginia Baptist Historical Society
- Jonnie B. Deel Memorial Library,
198 Chase Street, P.O. Box 650, Clintwood, VA 24228; (703) 926-6617
- Southwest Virginia Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 12485, Roanoke, VA 24026-2485
- History Museum & Historical Society of Western Virginia, P.O. Box 1904, Roanoke, VA 24008; (540) 342-5770
- Mountain People and Places, 1562 Hughes Hollow Road, Clintwood, VA 24228
- Dickenson Historical Society, P.O. Box 323, Clintwood, VA 24228
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Dickenson County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Dickenson Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Dickenson County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Dickenson County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Dickenson County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Dickenson Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Dickenson Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Dickenson Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Dickenson Co. VA General and History Websites
Dickenson Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Dickenson Co. VA Military Records