Charles City County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Charles City County, Virginia Facts
When was Charles City County, VA Created?
Charles City County was established on 1634 as was one of the eight original shires . This county was named for King Charles I of England.
What is the County Seat of Charles City County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Charles City also, the county government website is www.co.charles-city.va.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Charles City County, VA?
Bordering Counties are New Kent County (north), James City County (east), Surry County (southeast), Prince George County (south), Chesterfield County (southwest), Henrico County (west).
What cities and towns are in Charles City County, VA?
Cities and towns located in Charles City County include Binns Hall, Holdcroft, Charles City Courthouse, Ruthville, Sandy Point.
Charles City County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Charles City County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Charles City County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Charles City County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Charles City Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Charles City County, VA Census Records
What Charles City County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Charles City County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Charles City Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Charles City Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Charles City Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Charles City County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
CharlesCity County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the CharlesCity County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in CharlesCity County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Records have been destroyed at various times. The most damage occurred during the Civil War when the records were strewn through woods in a rainstorm. Many fragments of records exist, so many, in fact, that there is something for almost every year.
- Charles City County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 86, 10780 Courthouse Road, Charles City, VA 23030-0086
- Phone: (804) 652-2105
- Marriage Records: 1762
- Land Records: 1655
- Court Records: 1655
- Probate Records: 1650
- Charles City County Treasurer Office
- Charles City Health Department, 7501 Adkins Road, Charles City, VA 23030; Phone: (804) 829-2490
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Charles City County court orders, 1655-1658
- Charles City County court orders, 1658-1661
- Charles City County court orders, 1661-1664
- Charles City County court orders, 1664-1665
- BLM Land Records
Charles City County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Charles City County, VA?
A list of Charles City County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Charles City County Historical Society, 16530 The Glebe Lane, Charles City, VA 23030
- Charles City County Center for Local History, P.O. Box 128, 10600 Courthouse Road, Charles City, VA 23030, (804) 652-1516
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Charles City County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Charles City Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Charles City County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Charles City County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Charles City County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Charles City Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Charles City Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Charles City Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Charles City Co. VA General and History Websites
Charles City Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Charles City Co. VA Military Records