Campbell County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Campbell County, Virginia Facts
When was Campbell County, VA Created?
Campbell County was established on December 15, 1781 from Bedford County . This county was named for William Campbell, Revolutionary War general and one of the heroes of the Battle of Kings Mountain in 1780.
What is the County Seat of Campbell County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Rustburg also, the county government website is www.co.campbell.va.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Campbell County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Amherst County (north), Appomattox County (northeast), Charlotte County (east), Halifax County (southeast), Pittsylvania County (southwest), Bedford County (west).
What cities and towns are in Campbell County, VA?
Cities and towns located in Campbell County include Altavista, Brookneal, Rustburg and Timberlake.
Campbell County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Campbell County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Campbell County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Campbell County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Campbell Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Another resource is the Campbell County Health Department, 116 Kabler Avenue, Rustburg, VA 24588; Phone: 434-592-9550; Fax: 434-332-5512
- Marriages of Campbell County, Virginia, 1782-1810
- Marriages and Deaths from Lynchburg, Virginia Newspapers, 1794-1836
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Campbell County, VA Census Records
What Campbell County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Campbell County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Campbell Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Campbell Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Campbell Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Campbell County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Campbell County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Campbell County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Campbell County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Campbell County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 7, 732 Village Highway, Rustburg, VA 24588-0007
- Phone: (434) 592-9517
- Marriage Records: 1782
- Land Records: 1782
- Court Records: 1782
- Probate Records: 1782
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Campbell County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Campbell County, VA?
A list of Campbell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Campbell County Historical Society, P. O. Box 595, Rustburg, VA 24588
- Avoca Museums & Historical Society, 1514 Main St., Altavista, VA 24517-1132, (434) 369-1076
- Staunton River Historical Society, Willie Hodges Booth Museum, P.O. Box 270, Brookneal, VA 24528
- South Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Charlotte C.H., Va 23923
- Campbell County Public Library, 684 Village Highway Lower Level, P. O. Box 310, Rustburg, VA 24588, Phone 434-332-9560
- Patrick Henry Memorial Library, 204 Lynchburg Avenue, Brookneal, VA 24528, Phone 434-376-3363
- Staunton River Memorial Library, 500 Washington Avenue , Altavista, VA 24517, 434-369-5140
- Timbrook Branch , 21039 Timberlake Road, Suite F, Lynchburg, VA 24502, 434-239-1190
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Campbell County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Campbell Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Campbell County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Campbell County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Campbell County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Campbell Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Campbell Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Campbell Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Campbell Co. VA General and History Websites
Campbell Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Campbell Co. VA Military Records