Arlington County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Arlington County, Virginia Facts
When was Arlington County, VA Created?
Arlington County was established on 1789 as Alexandria County and was formed from a part of Fairfax County (it was ceded to the U.S. government in 1789 but was returned to Virginia in 1846. It was renamed to Arlington Co in 1920) . This county was named for Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington, colonial proprietary landowner.
What is the County Seat of Arlington County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Arlington also, the county government website is www.co.arlington.va.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Arlington County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Fairfax County (west), Washigton D.C. (north), Prince George's County, Maryland (east).
What cities and towns are in Arlington County, VA?
Cities and towns located in Arlington County include Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse, Crystal City, Lyon Village, Pentagon City, Rosslyn, Shirlington, Virginia Square, Westover, Williamsburg Circle, Palisades .
Arlington County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Arlington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Arlington County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Arlington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Arlington Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Arlington County, VA Census Records
What Arlington County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Arlington County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Arlington Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Arlington Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Arlington Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Arlington County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Arlington County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Arlington County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Arlington County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Pre-1920 records belong to Alexandria and Fairfax Counties and the District of Columbia.
- Arlington County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 1425 North Courthouse Road, Arlington, VA 22201
- Phone: (703) 228-7010
- Marriage Records: 1801
- Land Records: 1669
- Court Records: 1778
- Probate Records: 1772
- Arlington County Real Estate Assessments
- Arlington County Treasurer
- Arlington County Department of Human Services, 2100 Washington Blvd., Arlington VA 22204
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Arlington County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Arlington County, VA?
A list of Arlington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Arlington Historical Society, 1805 South Arlington Ridge Road (Arlington Historical Museum) 703-892-4204; P.O. Box 402, Arlington, VA 22210-0402; 703-892-4204
- National Genealogical Society, 3108 Columbia Pike, Suite 300, Arlington, VA 22204; (703) 525-0050
- Arlington Department of Libraries, 2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite 402, Arlington, VA 22201, Phone 703-228-3348
- Central Library , 1015 N. Quincy St. , Arlington, VA 22201 , Phone 703-228-5990
- Aurora Hills Library , 735 S. 18th St. , Arlington, VA 22202 , Phone 703-228-5715
- Cherrydale Library , 2190 N. Military Rd. , Arlington VA 22207 , Phone 703-228-6330
- Columbia Pike Library , 816 S. Walter Reed Dr. , Arlington, VA 22204 , Phone 703-228-5710
- Government Reference Library , #1 Courthouse Plaza , Suite 406 , 2100 Clarendon Blvd. , Arlington, VA 22201 , Phone 703-228-3352
- Outreach Centers , Phone 703-228-5585
- Shirlington Library , 2786 S. Arlington Mill Dr. , Arlington, VA 22206 , Phone 703-228-6545
- Westover Library , 1800 N. Lexington St. , Arlington, VA 22205 , Phone 703-228-5260
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Arlington County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Arlington Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Arlington County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Arlington County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Arlington County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Arlington Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Arlington Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Arlington Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Arlington Co. VA General and History Websites
Arlington Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Arlington Co. VA Military Records