Windsor County, Vermont
Windsor County was created on February 22, 1781 from part of Cumberland County. This particular county was named after the Town of Windsor, Connecticut.
Places adjacent to Windsor County are Orange County (north), Grafton County, New Hampshire (northeast), Sullivan County, New Hampshire (east), Windham County (south), Bennington County (southwest), Rutland County (west), Addison County (northwest).
Cities, towns, and villages to be found in Windsor County include Andover, Baltimore, Barnard, Bethel, Bridgewater, Cavendish, Chester, Hartford, Hartland, Ludlow, Norwich, Plymouth, Pomfret, Reading, Rochester, Royalton, Sharon, Springfield, Stockbridge, Weathersfield, West Windsor, Weston, Windsor, Woodstock .
Windsor County vital records from the last five (5) yearscan be found at the Vermont Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. For Records more than five (5) years ago can be ordered from the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.
You can search online for Windsor County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Vermont Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Windsor County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Windsor Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Windsor Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Windsor Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free down loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Windsor County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Windsor County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Vermont (raogk.org)
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Vermont State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barnard Historical Society, PO Box 234, Barnard, VT 05031
- Bethel Historical Society, PO Box 25, Bethel, VT 05032; Phone: (802) 234-5064
- Black River Academy Museum & Historical Society, PO Box 73, 14 High Street Ludlow, VT 05149; (802) 228-5050
- Cavendish Historical Society, PO Box 472, Cavendish, VT 05142; Phone:(802) 226-7807
- Chester Historical Society, PO Box 118, 230 Main Street Chester, VT 05143; (802) 875-5459 or (802) 374-0119
- Green Mountain Perkins Academy & Historical Assocociation, PO Box 143, South Woodstock, VT 05071; Phone:(802) 457-3779
- Hartford Historical Society, PO Box 547, Hartford, VT 05047; Phone: (802) 296-3132 or (802) 295-2701
- Hartland Historical Society, PO Box 297, Hartland, VT 05048 ; Phone: (802) 436-1703
- Norwich Historical Society, P.O. Box 1680, Norwich, VT 05055; Phone: (802) 649-0124
- Pioneer Memorial Society, 1192 Farrar Road, Chester, VT 05143; Phone: (802) 875-3205
- Plymouth Historical Society, c/o Plymouth Town Clerk, 68 Town Office Road, Plymouth, VT 05056; Phone: (802) 672-3547
- Pomfret Historical Society, PO Box 54, South Pomfret, VT 05067 ; Phone: (802) 457-1021
- Reading Historical Society, PO Box 252, Reading, VT 05062; Phone: (802) 484-5738
- Rochester Historical Society, 22 South Main Street, Rochester, VT 05767; Phone: (802) 767-4453
- Royalton Historical Society, 4184 VT Route 14, Royalton, VT 05068; Phone: (802) 828-3051
- Sharon Historical Society, PO Box 176, 4626 VT Route 14, Sharon VT 05065; Phone: (802) 763-8549
- Weathersfield Historical Society, PO Box 126, 2656 Weathersfield Center Road, Perkinsville, VT 05151; Phone:(802) 263-5230
- Weston Historical Society, PO Box 247, Weston, VT 05161; Phone: (802) 824-5294
- Windsor Historical Society, PO Box 300, Windsor, VT 05089; Phone: (802) 674-2326
- Woodstock Historical Society, 26 Elm Street, Woodstock, Vt 05091; Phone: (802) 457-1822
- Windsor County, Vermont Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Windsor County
- Windsor County, Vermont Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Windsor County
- USGenWeb Archives for Windsor County (usgwarchives.net)
Windsor County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the significance of Windsor County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Hidden away in Vermont courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Vermont citizens. The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Windsor County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or inquiring about information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will aid persons in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the man or women to undertake the researching.
Each town clerk's office holds the original deed, vital, tax, and town meeting records. Included in town or proprietor's meeting records are such valuable sources as lists of freemen (new voters in town), annual election of officers, school records, hog or cattle marks, warnings out to those for whom the town will not assume legal responsibility, militia, and accounts of various town officials.
Even though the political division of county has little meaning in Vermont, there are some county land records, primarily for unorganized towns, and county court records located at the appropriate county office.
Town Clerks also has copies of vital records birth, marriage, civil unions, divorce and death records.
Windsor County Courthouse, 12 The Green, Woodstock, VT 05091; (802) 457-2121, has Land Records from Cumberland County Deeds 1784–94 (county only) and Probate Records from 1787 to present. Windsor Probate District covers towns in southern part of Windsor County. First book of guardianships is missing, as are some pages in the recorded probates. Probate files for 1781—1850 were burned.
Hartford Probate District covers towns in northern part of Windsor County.
- Andover Town Clerk, 953 Weston-Andover Rd., Andover, VT 05143; Phone: (802)875-2765
- Baltimore Town Clerk, 1902 Baltimore Rd., Baltimore, VT 05143 ; Phone: (802)263-5274
- Barnard Town Clerk, P.O. Box 274, Barnard, VT 05031 ; Phone: (802)234-9211
- Bethel Town Clerk, PO Box 404, Bethel, VT 05032 ; Phone: (802)234-9722
- Bridgewater Town Clerk, P.O. Box 14, Bridgewater, VT 05034 ; Phone: (802)672-3334
- Cavendish Town Clerk, P.O. Box 126, Cavendish, VT 05142 ; Phone: (802)226-7291
- Chester Town Clerk, P.O. Box 370, Chester, VT 05143 ; Phone: (802)875-2173
- Hartford Town Clerk, 171 Bridge Street, White River Jct., VT 05001 ; Phone: (802)295-2785
- Hartland Town Clerk, P.O. Box 349, Hartland, VT 050480349; Phone: (802)436-2444
- Ludlow Town Clerk, P.O. Box 307, Ludlow, VT 05149 ; Phone: (802)228-3232
- Norwich Town Clerk, P.O. Box 376, Norwich, VT 05055 ; Phone: (802)649-1419
- Plymouth Town Clerk, 68 Town Office Rd., Plymouth, VT 05056 ; Phone: (802)672-3655
- Pomfret Town Clerk, P.O. Box 64 , South Pomfret, VT 05067 ; Phone: (802)457-3861
- Reading Town Clerk, P.O. Box 72, Reading, VT 05062 ; Phone: (802)484-7250
- Rochester Town Clerk, P.O. Box 238, Rochester, VT 05767 ; Phone: (802)767-3631
- Royalton Town Clerk, P.O. Box 680, S. Royalton, VT 05068 ; Phone: (802)763-7207
- Sharon Town Clerk, P.O. Box 250, Sharon, VT 05065 ; Phone: (802)763-8268
- Springfield Town Clerk, 96 Main Street, Springfield, VT 05156 ; Phone: (802)885-2104
- Stockbridge Town Clerk, P.O. Box 39, Stockbridge, VT 05772 ; Phone: (802)234-9371
- Weathersfield Town Clerk, P. O. Box 550, Ascutney, VT 05030 ; Phone: (802)674-2626
- West Windsor Town Clerk, P.O. Box 6, Brownsville, VT 05037 ; Phone: (802)484-7212
- Weston Town Clerk, P.O. Box 98, Weston, VT 051610098; Phone: (802)824-6645
- Windsor Town Clerk, PO Box 47, Windsor, VT 05089 ; Phone: (802)674-5610
- Woodstock Town Clerk, 31 The Green, Woodstock, VT 05091 ; Phone: (802)457-3611
- Vermont Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Windsor County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Windsor County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Windsor County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Windsor Co. VT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Windsor Co. VT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Vermont
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-1954 (familysearch.org)Name index and images (index cards) of town clerk transcriptions of births, marriages and deaths, 1760-1954. This collection is complete for years 1871-1908.
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-2003 (familysearch.org) Images from microfilm of births, marriages and deaths. The records for 1955-1979 are arranged alphabetically. Images courtesy of Ancestry.com and the Vermont State Archives.
- Vermont, Births and Christenings, 1765-1908 (familysearch.org) ame index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Vermont. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Vermont, Deaths and Burials, 1871-1965 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Vermont. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 74,099 records. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Windsor Co. VT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Vermont Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Inventory of the town, village and city archives of Vermont, no. 14, Windsor County, vol. xii, town of Plymouth (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 (familysearch.org) Vital and town records acquired from local town clerk offices.
- Vermont, Land Records, Early to 1900 (familysearch.org) Land records give the locations and dates for land transactions with the names of buyers and sellers. Most volumes of land records have indexes of buyers and sellers. Look in the indexes first to find the volumes and page numbers where the actual land records can be found. Then look in the appropriate land records volumes to see the images of the deeds. This index currently has the following years: 1850 to 1900
- Vermont, Probate Files, 1791-1919 (familysearch.org) Index and images of probate estate files. Each estate file consists of multiple images. Currently images are available for Chittenden and Essex Counties. Additional counties will be added later.
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns. Curently includes only records from the following counties: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, and Rutland.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Windsor Co. VT Census Records
Windsor Co. VT Cemeteries & Graveyards
Windsor Co. VT Church & Bible Records
Windsor Co. VT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Windsor Co. VT General and History Websites
Windsor Co. VT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Windsor Co. VT Military Records
Windsor Co. VT Schools & Directories
- Gazetteer and business directory of Windsor County, Vt., for 1883-84 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermont City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Vermont. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.