Windham County, Vermont
Windham County was created on November 1, 1810 as one of the original two counties (originally named Cumberland County, renamed November 8, 1814). This particular county was named after the town of Windham, Connecticut..
Places adjacent to Windham County are Windsor County (north), Sullivan County, New Hampshire (northeast), Cheshire County, New Hampshire (east), Franklin County, Massachusetts (south), Bennington County (west).
Cities, towns, and villages to be found in Windham County include Athens, Brattleboro, Brookline, Dover, Dummerston, Grafton, Guilford, Halifax, Jamaica, Londonderry, Marlboro, Newfane, Putney, Rockingham, Somerset, Stratton, Townshend, Vernon, Wardsboro, Westminster, Whitingham, Wilmington, Windham .
Windham County vital records from the last five (5) yearscan be found at the Vermont Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. For Records more than five (5) years ago can be ordered from the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.
You can search online for Windham County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Vermont Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Windham County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Windham Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Windham Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Windham Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free down loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Windham County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Windham County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Vermont State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bellows Falls Historical Society, PO Box 466, Adams Grist Mill Museum, Mill Street, Bellows Falls, VT, 05101; Phone: (802) 376-6789
- Brattleboro Historical Society, Inc., Municipal Building, 230 Main Street, 3rd floor, Brattleboro, VT 05301; Phone: (802) 258-4957
- Dover Historical Society, PO Box 53, East Dover, Vermont 05341-0053; (802) 464-7351
- Dummerston Historical Society, PO Box 8064, North Brattleboro, VT 05304; Phone: (802) 257-0674
- Grafton Historical Society, PO Box 202, Grafton, VT 05146; Phone: (802) 843-2584
- Guilford Historical Society, 236 School Road, Guilford VT 05301 ; Phone: (802) 257-0147
- Halifax Historical Society, PO Box 94, West Halifax. VT 05358; Phone: (802) 368-7164
- Jamaica Historical Foundation, 3417 VT Rte 30, Jamaica VT 05343; Phone:(802) 874-4974
- Landgrove Historical Society, PO Box 734, Londonderry, VT 05148 ; Phone: (802) 824-6624
- Londonderry Historical Society, PO Box 114, South Londonderry, VT 05155; Phone: (802) 824-3850
- Marlboro Historical Society, PO Box 109, Marlboro, VT 05344; Phone: (802) 258-2568
- Putney Historical Society, P.O. Box 260, Putney, VT 05346; Phone: (802) 387-4411
- Rockingham Meeting House Association, 20 Thwing Lane, Bellows Falls, VT 05101; Phone: (802) 463-3858
- Saxtons River Historical Society, PO Box 18, Saxtons River, VT 05154; Phone: (802) 869-2566
- Townshend Historical Society, PO Box 202, Townshend, VT 05353; Phone: (802) 365-4400
- Vernon Historians, PO Box 282, 4201 Fort Bridgman Road, Vernon, VT 05354
; Phone: (802) 257-8010
- Wardsboro History Group Ltd., PO Box 33, Wardsboro, VT 05355; Phone: (802) 896-6603
- Westminster Historical Society, PO Box 2, Westminster, VT 05158; Phone: (802) 387-5778
- Whitingham Historical Society, PO Box 125, Whitingham, VT 05342; Phone: (802) 368-2448 or (802) 368-2376
- Historical Society of Wilmington , Barber House Museum, 5 Lisle Hill, Wilmington, VT, PO Box 1751, Wilmington, VT 05363; Phone: (802) 464-3004
- Historical Society of Windham County, PO Box 246, Route 30, Main Street, Newfane, VT 05345; Phone: (802) 365-4148
- Windham County, Vermont Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Windham County
- Windham County, Vermont Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Windham County
- USGenWeb Archives for Windham County (usgwarchives.net)
Windham County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the significance of Windham County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Hidden away in Vermont courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Vermont citizens. The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Windham County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or inquiring about information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will aid persons in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the man or women to undertake the researching.
Each town clerk's office holds the original deed, vital, tax, and town meeting records. Included in town or proprietor's meeting records are such valuable sources as lists of freemen (new voters in town), annual election of officers, school records, hog or cattle marks, warnings out to those for whom the town will not assume legal responsibility, militia, and accounts of various town officials.
Even though the political division of county has little meaning in Vermont, there are some county land records, primarily for unorganized towns, and county court records located at the appropriate county office. Town Clerks also has copies of vital records birth, marriage, civil unions, divorce and death records.
Windham County Courthouse, Court St, Newfane, VT 05345; (802) 365-4257, has Land Records from Cumberland County Deeds 1766–74;1772–77 (county only) and Probate Records from 1781 to present. Marlboro Probate District covers the towns in southern part of Windham County. Westminster Probate District covers the towns in northern part of Windham County.
- Athens Town Clerk, 56 Brookline Road, Athens, VT 05143 ; Phone: (802)869-3370
- Brattleboro Town Clerk, 230 Main St., Suite 108, Brattleboro, VT 05301-2885(802)254-4541 ext.129
- Brookline Town Clerk, P.O. Box 403, Newfane, VT 05345 ; Phone: (802)365-4648
- Dover Town Clerk, P.O. Box 527, W. Dover, VT 05356 ; Phone: (802)464-5100
- Dummerston Town Clerk, 1523 Middle Road, E. Dummerston, VT 05346 ; Phone: (802)257-1496
- Grafton Town Clerk, P.O. Box 180, Grafton, VT 05146 ; Phone: (802)843-2419
- Guilford Town Clerk, 236 School Road, Guilford, VT 05301 ; Phone: (802)254-6857
- Halifax Town Clerk, P. O. Box 127, West Halifax, VT 05358 ; Phone: (802)368-7390
- Jamaica Town Clerk, P.O. Box 173, Jamaica, VT 05343 ; Phone: (802)874-4681
- Londonderry Town Clerk, P.O. Box 118, S. Londonderry, VT 05155 ; Phone: (802)824-3356
- Marlboro Town Clerk, P.O. Box E, Marlboro, VT 05344 ; Phone: (802)254-2181
- Newfane Town Clerk, P.O. Box 36, Newfane, VT 05345 ; Phone: (802)365-7772
- Putney Town Clerk, P.O. Box 233, Putney, VT 05346 ; Phone: (802)387-5862
- Rockingham Town Clerk, P.O. Box 339, Bellows Falls, VT 05101-0339; Phone: (802)463-4336
- Stratton Town Clerk, 9 West Jamaica Road, Stratton, VT 05360 ; Phone: (802)896-6184
- Townshend Town Clerk, P.O. Box 223, Townshend, VT 05353 ; Phone: (802)365-7300
- Vernon Town Clerk, 567 Governor Hunt Road, Vernon, VT 05354 ; Phone: (802)257-0292
- Wardsboro Town Clerk, P.O. Box 48, Wardsboro, VT 05355 ; Phone: (802)896-6055
- Westminster Town Clerk, P.O. Box 147, Westminster, VT 05158 ; Phone: (802)722-4091
- Whitingham Town Clerk, P.O. Box 529, Jacksonville, VT 05342 ; Phone: (802)368-7887
- Wilmington Town Clerk, P.O. Box 217, Wilmington, VT 05363 ; Phone: (802)464-5836
- Windham Town Clerk, 5976 Windham Hill Rd, Windham, VT 05359 ; Phone: (802)874-4211
Windham County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Windham County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Windham County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Windham Co. VT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Windham Co. VT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Vermont
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-1954 (familysearch.org)Name index and images (index cards) of town clerk transcriptions of births, marriages and deaths, 1760-1954. This collection is complete for years 1871-1908.
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-2003 (familysearch.org) Images from microfilm of births, marriages and deaths. The records for 1955-1979 are arranged alphabetically. Images courtesy of Ancestry.com and the Vermont State Archives.
- Vermont, Births and Christenings, 1765-1908 (familysearch.org) ame index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Vermont. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Vermont, Deaths and Burials, 1871-1965 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Vermont. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 74,099 records. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Windham Co. VT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Vermont Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Vermont, Windham County, Westminster District, Probate Records, 1781-1921 (familysearch.org) Images of probate records located at the Vermont Public Records Office in Midddlesex. Records are bundled together by year.
- Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 (familysearch.org) Vital and town records acquired from local town clerk offices.
- Vermont, Land Records, Early to 1900 (familysearch.org) Land records give the locations and dates for land transactions with the names of buyers and sellers. Most volumes of land records have indexes of buyers and sellers. Look in the indexes first to find the volumes and page numbers where the actual land records can be found. Then look in the appropriate land records volumes to see the images of the deeds. This index currently has the following years: 1850 to 1900
- Vermont, Probate Files, 1791-1919 (familysearch.org) Index and images of probate estate files. Each estate file consists of multiple images. Currently images are available for Chittenden and Essex Counties. Additional counties will be added later.
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns. Curently includes only records from the following counties: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, and Rutland.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Windham Co. VT Census Records
Windham Co. VT Cemeteries & Graveyards
Windham Co. VT Church & Bible Records
Windham Co. VT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Windham Co. VT General and History Websites
Windham Co. VT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Windham Co. VT Military Records
Windham Co. VT Schools & Directories
- Gazetteer and business directory of Windham County, Vt., 1724-1884 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermont City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Vermont. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.