Walker County, Texas
Walker County was created on April 6, 1846 from Montgomery County. This county was named for Samuel Hamilton Walker (1815–1847), a Texas Ranger and soldier in the Mexican-American War .
The Walker County Seat is located in Huntsville also, the county government website is www.co.walker.tx.us/.
Areas bordering to Walker County are Houston County (north), Trinity County (northeast), San Jacinto County (east), Montgomery County (south), Grimes County (west), Madison County (northwest).
Cities and towns located in Walker County include Huntsville, New Waverly, Riverside.
Walker County vital records can be found at the Texas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from 1903. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Texas for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Walker County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Texas Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Verification Application to mail.
Walker County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Walker Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Walker Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Walker Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860.
One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Walker County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Walker County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Texas (raogk.org)
- Texas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Texas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Walker County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 1295, Huntsville, TX 77342-1295
- Texas State Archives, Regional Historical Resource Depository, University Archives, Newton Gresham Library, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX 77341-1001
- Huntsville Public Library, 1214 14th St., Huntsville, TX 77340
- Walker Co. Records Available on Microfilm (tsl.state.tx.us)
- Walker County, Texas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Walker County
- Walker County, Texas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Walker County
- USGenWeb Archives for Walker County
Walker County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers typically overlook the great importance of Walker County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Texas courthouses and archives everywhere are the aspirations and worries of many Texas citizens.
The chances are excellent that your particular forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Walker County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records will be in Walker County. The dates pointed out listed below tend to be the first recognized records with this county.
I highly recommend you get in touch with the clerk's office to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of workers will aid persons in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the man or women to do the research.
- Walker County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 210, Huntsville 77342
- Walker County Clerk is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (936) 436-4922
- Birth & Death Records: 1903
- Marriage Records: 1846
- Land Records: 1846
- Probate Records: 1846
- Court Records: 1847
- Walker County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
Walker County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relating to Walker County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most liked Walker County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Walker Co. TX Books,Newspapers & Publications
Walker Co. TX Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Texas
- Texas Vital Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Texas Birth Records 1927-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Birth Certificates, 1903-10 and 1926-29 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. Browse by county, then year, then surname, beginning with the first letters of the last name of the person you seek.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 to 2008 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Records 1964-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Certificates, 1890-1976 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. These records are searchable by first and last name of the deceased, year, county, and city.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com) Search over 82 million death records and get genealogical information crucial to your family research.
Walker Co. TX Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Walker Co. TX Census Records
Walker Co. TX Cemeteries & Graveyards
Walker Co. TX Church & Bible Records
Walker Co. TX Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Walker Co. TX General and History Websites
Walker Co. TX Immigration & Naturalization
Walker Co. TX Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Walker Co. TX Military Records
Walker Co. TX Schools & Directories