Travis County, Texas
Genealogy and Facts
Travis County, Texas genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Travis Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
- Government Website: www.co.travis.tx.us/
- Created Date / Origin: January 25, 1840 from Bastrop County
- County Seat: Austin
- Named After: William Barret Travis (1809–1836), the commander of the Texan forces at the Alamo
- Bordering Counties: Williamson County (north), Bastrop County (east), Caldwell County (south), Hays County (southwest), Blanco County (west), Burnet County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities & Towns: Austin, Bee Cave, Briarcliff, Creedmoor, Elgin, Jonestown, Lago Vista, Lakeway, Manor, Pflugerville, Point Venture, Rollingwood, Round Rock, San Leanna, Sunset Valley, The Hills, Volente, Webberville, West Lake Hills
Travis County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Travis County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Texas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Austin Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1507, Austin, TX 78767-1507
- Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, P.O. Box 2287, 810 Guadalupe St., Austin, TX 78768-228
- Barker Texas History Center, UT-Austin SRH 2, 101, Austin, TX 78713-7330
- Catholic Archives of Texas, P.O. Box 13327, 1600 Congress Ave., Austin, TX 78811-3327
- Eugene C. Baker Center for American History, University of Texas, Sid Richardson Hall 2.109, Austin, TX 78712
- Mirabeau B. Lamar Library, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712
- Texas Land Office, Archives & Records Division, Stephen F. Austin Bldg., 1700 North Congress, Austin, TX 78701-1495
- German-Texan Heritage Society, 507 E. 10th St., P.O. Box 684171, Austin, TX 78768-4171
- Texian Heritage Society, 15742 Fitzhugh Rd., Austin 78736
- Travis Co. Records Available on Microfilm (tsl.state.tx.us)
- Travis County, Texas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Travis County
- Travis County, Texas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Travis County
- USGenWeb Archives for Travis County
Travis County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers typically overlook the great importance of Travis County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Texas courthouses and archives everywhere are the aspirations and worries of many Texas citizens.
The chances are excellent that your particular forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Travis County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you get in touch with the clerk's office to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of workers will aid persons in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the man or women to do the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records will be in Travis County. The dates pointed out listed below tend to be the first recognized records with this county.
- Travis County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 149325, Austin 78714-9325
- Travis County Clerk is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (512) 854-4996
- Birth & Death Records: 1903
- Marriage Records: 1840
- Land Records: 1840
- Probate Records: 1840
- Court Records: 1876
- Travis County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
- Texas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from 1903. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Texas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Travis County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relating to Travis County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most liked Travis County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Travis Co. TX Books,Newspapers & Publications
Travis Co. TX Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Texas
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Texas Birth Records 1927-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Birth Certificates, 1903-10 and 1926-29 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. Browse by county, then year, then surname, beginning with the first letters of the last name of the person you seek.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 to 2008 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Records 1964-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Certificates, 1890-1976 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. These records are searchable by first and last name of the deceased, year, county, and city.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com) Search over 82 million death records and get genealogical information crucial to your family research.
Travis Co. TX Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Travis Co. TX Census Records
Travis Co. TX Cemeteries & Graveyards
Travis Co. TX Church & Bible Records
Travis Co. TX Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Travis Co. TX General and History Websites
Travis Co. TX Immigration & Naturalization
Travis Co. TX Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Travis Co. TX Military Records
Travis Co. TX Schools & Directories