Liberty County, Texas
Genealogy and Facts
Liberty County, Texas genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Liberty Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
- Government Website: www.co.liberty.tx.us/
- Created Date / Origin: March 17, 1836 as one of the original 23 counties (originally created on May 5, 1831 from Nacogdoches County, established as a municipality by Mexico)
- County Seat: Liberty
- Named After: Its county seat, which was named either for the recent success of the Mexican War of Independence or for Liberty, Mississippi
- Bordering Counties: Polk County (north), Hardin County (east), Jefferson County (southeast), Chambers County (south), Harris County (southwest), Montgomery County (west), San Jacinto County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities & Towns: Ames, Cleveland, Daisetta, Dayton Lakes, Devers, Dayton, Hardin, Kenefick, Liberty, Mont Belvieu, North Cleveland, Plum Grove
Liberty County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Liberty County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Texas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Liberty County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 723, Liberty, Texas 77575
- Liberty County Historical Commission, P.O. Box 23, Liberty, TX 77575
- Atascosito Historical Society, P.O. Box 989, Liberty, TX 77575
- Sam Houston Regional Library & Research Center, FM 1011 Governor's Rd., P.O. Box 310, Liberty, TX 77575-0310
- Cleveland Area Genealogical Enterprises, Austin Memorial Library, 220 S. Bonham, Cleveland, TX 77327
- Liberty Co. Records Available on Microfilm (tsl.state.tx.us)
- Liberty County, Texas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Liberty County
- Liberty County, Texas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Liberty County
- USGenWeb Archives for Liberty County
Liberty County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers typically overlook the great importance of Liberty County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Texas courthouses and archives everywhere are the aspirations and worries of many Texas citizens.
The chances are excellent that your particular forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Liberty County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you get in touch with the clerk's office to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of workers will aid persons in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the man or women to do the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records will be in Liberty County. The dates pointed out listed below tend to be the first recognized records with this county. Courthouse, built in 1857, was destroyed on December 28, 1872. County records were destroyed
- Liberty County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 369, Liberty 77575
- Liberty County Clerk is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (936) 336-4670
- Birth & Death Records: 1903
- Marriage Records: 1875
- Land Records: 1875
- Probate Records: 1895
- Court Records: 1874
- Liberty County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
- Texas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from 1903. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Texas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Liberty County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relating to Liberty County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most liked Liberty County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Liberty Co. TX Books,Newspapers & Publications
Liberty Co. TX Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Texas
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Texas Birth Records 1927-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Birth Certificates, 1903-10 and 1926-29 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. Browse by county, then year, then surname, beginning with the first letters of the last name of the person you seek.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 to 2008 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Records 1964-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Certificates, 1890-1976 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. These records are searchable by first and last name of the deceased, year, county, and city.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com) Search over 82 million death records and get genealogical information crucial to your family research.
Liberty Co. TX Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Liberty Co. TX Census Records
Liberty Co. TX Cemeteries & Graveyards
Liberty Co. TX Church & Bible Records
Liberty Co. TX Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Liberty Co. TX General and History Websites
Liberty Co. TX Immigration & Naturalization
Liberty Co. TX Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Liberty Co. TX Military Records