Kerr County, Texas
Kerr County was created on January 26, 1856 from Bexar County. This county was named for James Kerr (1790–1850), an early colonist in Texas and soldier in the Texas Revolution .
The Kerr County Seat is located in Kerrville also, the county government website is www.co.kerr.tx.us/.
Areas bordering to Kerr County are Kimble County (north), Gillespie County (northeast), Kendall County (east), Bandera County (south), Real County (southwest), Edwards County (west).
Cities and towns located in Kerr County include Ingram, Kerrville.
Kerr County vital records can be found at the Texas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from 1903. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Texas for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Kerr County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Texas Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Verification Application to mail.
Kerr County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Kerr Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kerr Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kerr Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1860.
One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Kerr County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Kerr County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Texas (raogk.org)
- Texas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Texas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kerrville Genealogical Society, 505 Water St., Kerrville, TX 78028
- Kerr County Historical Commission, 700 Main Street, Suite 122, Kerrville, Texas, 78028; 830-896-5320
- Kerr Co. Records Available on Microfilm (tsl.state.tx.us)
- Kerr County, Texas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Kerr County
- Kerr County, Texas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Kerr County
- USGenWeb Archives for Kerr County
Kerr County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers typically overlook the great importance of Kerr County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Texas courthouses and archives everywhere are the aspirations and worries of many Texas citizens.
The chances are excellent that your particular forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Kerr County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records will be in Kerr County. The dates pointed out listed below tend to be the first recognized records with this county.
I highly recommend you get in touch with the clerk's office to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of workers will aid persons in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the man or women to do the research.
- Kerr County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 700 Main St., Suite 122, Kerrville 78028
- Kerr County Clerk is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (830) 792-2255
- Birth & Death Records: 1903
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1840
- Probate Records: 1856
- Court Records: 1856
- Kerr County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
Kerr County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relating to Kerr County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most liked Kerr County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Kerr Co. TX Books,Newspapers & Publications
Kerr Co. TX Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Texas
- Texas Vital Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Texas, Kerr County Birth Records 1900 - 1926 (archives.com) Kerr County Clerk
- Texas, Kerr County Death Records 1900 - 1964 (archives.com) Kerr County Clerk
- Texas, Kerr County Marriage Records 1900 - 2010 (archives.com) Kerr County Clerk
- Texas Birth Records 1927-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Birth Certificates, 1903-10 and 1926-29 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. Browse by county, then year, then surname, beginning with the first letters of the last name of the person you seek.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 to 2008 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Records 1964-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Certificates, 1890-1976 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. These records are searchable by first and last name of the deceased, year, county, and city.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com) Search over 82 million death records and get genealogical information crucial to your family research.
Kerr Co. TX Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Kerr Co. TX Census Records
Kerr Co. TX Cemeteries & Graveyards
Kerr Co. TX Church & Bible Records
Kerr Co. TX Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Kerr Co. TX General and History Websites
Kerr Co. TX Immigration & Naturalization
Kerr Co. TX Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Kerr Co. TX Military Records