Harris County, Texas
Genealogy and Facts
Harris County, Texas genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Harris Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
- Government Website: www.harriscountytx.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: March 17, 1836 as one of the original 23 counties (established as a municipality by the Provisional Government of Texas and originally named Harrisburg County until December 28, 1839)
- County Seat: Houston
- Named After: John Richardson Harris, early settler and founder of Harrisburg, Texas, which eventually became known as Houston
- Bordering Counties: Montgomery County (north), Liberty County (northeast), Chambers County (east), Galveston County (southeast), Brazoria County (south), Fort Bend County (southwest), Waller County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities & Towns: Baytown , Bellaire, Bunker Hill Village, Deer Park, El Lago, Friendswood, Galena Park, Hedwig Village, Hilshire Village, Houston, Humble, Hunters Creek Village, Jacinto City, Jersey Village, Katy, La Porte, League City, Missouri City, Morgan's Point, Nassau Bay, Pasadena, Pearland, Piney Point Village, Seabrook, Shoreacres, South Houston, Southside Place, Spring, Spring Valley Village, Stafford, Taylor Lake Village, Tomball, Waller, Webster, West University Place
Harris County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Harris County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Texas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Houston Area Genealogical Association, 2507 Tannehill, Houston, TX 77008-3052
- Bay Area Heritage Society, 220 W Defee, Baytown 77520-4010
- Bay Area Historical Society Museum & Library, 200 W. Defee Ave., Baytown, TX 77520-4010
- Baytown Genealogy Society and Library, 5203 Decker Dr., Baytown, Texas; 281-424-8388
- Hispanic Genealogical Society, 2932 Barksdale, P.O. Box 231271, Houston 77223-1271
- Houston Genealogical Forum, P.O. Box 271466, Houston 77277-1466
Meets 1st Sat. of the month Sept.- May at 9:30 a.m. at
Bayland Park Community Center 6400 Bissonnet Hou., TX; "The Genealogical Record" newsletter published quarterly
- Houston Polish Genealogical Society, c/o 3606 Maroneal, Houston, TX 77025
- Humble Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2723, Humble 77347-2723
- Houston Afro-American Genealogical & Historical Society, 302 Harbor Dr., Houston, TX 77062
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Houston, 11727 Riverview Dr., Houston, TX 77077
- Jewish Holocaust Education Center, & Memorial Museum of Houston, 5401 Caroline, Houston, TX 77004-6804
- Polish Genealogical Society of Texas, 218 Beaver Bend, Houston, TX 77037
- Clear Lake Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 24, Seabrook, TX 77586
- Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Julia B. Ideson Bldg., 500 McKinney St., Houston, TX 77002-2534
- Houston Public Library, Jesse H. Jones Bldg., 500 McKinney St., Houston, TX 77002-2534
- Sterling Municipal Library, Genealogy & Reference, 1 Mary elizabeth Wilbanks Ave., Baytown, TX 77520-4258
- Clayton Library, Center for Genealogical Research, 5300 Caroline, Houston, TX 77004-6896
- Czech Heritage Society of Texas, 7411 Kite Hill, Houston, TX 77041
- LaPorte Library, Genealogy & Reference, 526 San Jacinto, LaPorte, TX 77571-5498
- San Jacinto Museum of History Library, 300 Park Rd. 1836, LaPorte, TX 77571
- Bellaire Genealogical Society, 6445 Sewanee, Houston 77706
- Bear Creek Genealogical Society, 1438 Crescent Green Dr., P. O. Box 842661, Houston, TX 77284
- Harris Co. Records Available on Microfilm (tsl.state.tx.us)
- Harris County, Texas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Harris County
- Harris County, Texas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Harris County
- USGenWeb Archives for Harris County
Harris County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers typically overlook the great importance of Harris County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Texas courthouses and archives everywhere are the aspirations and worries of many Texas citizens.
The chances are excellent that your particular forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Harris County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you get in touch with the clerk's office to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of workers will aid persons in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the man or women to do the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records will be in Harris County. The dates pointed out listed below tend to be the first recognized records with this county.
- Harris County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 1148, Houston 77251-1148
- Harris County Clerk is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (713) 755-6965
- Birth & Death Records: 1903
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Land Records: 1837
- Probate Records: 1831
- Court Records: 1837
- Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
- Texas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from 1903. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Texas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Harris County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relating to Harris County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most liked Harris County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Harris Co. TX Books,Newspapers & Publications
Harris Co. TX Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Texas
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Texas, Harris County Death Records 1941 - 1964 (archives.com) Harris County Clerk
- Texas, Harris County Marriage Records 1941 - 1964 (archives.com) Harris County Clerk
- Texas Birth Records 1927-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Birth Certificates, 1903-10 and 1926-29 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. Browse by county, then year, then surname, beginning with the first letters of the last name of the person you seek.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 to 2008 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Records 1964-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Certificates, 1890-1976 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. These records are searchable by first and last name of the deceased, year, county, and city.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com) Search over 82 million death records and get genealogical information crucial to your family research.
Harris Co. TX Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Harris Co. TX Census Records
Harris Co. TX Cemeteries & Graveyards
Harris Co. TX Church & Bible Records
Harris Co. TX Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Harris Co. TX General and History Websites
Harris Co. TX Immigration & Naturalization
Harris Co. TX Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Harris Co. TX Military Records
Harris Co. TX Schools & Directories