Collin County, Texas
Collin County was created on April 3, 1846 from Fannin County. This county was named for Collin McKinney (1766–1861), an author of the Texas Declaration of Independence .
The Collin County Seat is located in McKinney also, the county government website is www.co.collin.tx.us/.
Areas bordering to Collin County are Grayson County (north), Fannin County (northeast), Hunt County (east), Rockwall County (southeast), Dallas County (south), Denton County (west).
Cities and towns located in Collin County include Allen, Anna, Blue Ridge, Carrollton, Celina, Dallas, Fairview, Farmersville, Frisco, Garland, Lavon, Lowry Crossing, Lucas, McKinney, Melissa, Murphy, Nevada, New Hope, Parker, Plano, Princeton, Prosper, Richardson, Royse City, Sachse, St. Paul, Van Alstyne, Weston, Wylie.
Collin County vital records can be found at the Texas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from 1903. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Texas for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Collin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Texas Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Verification Application to mail.
Collin County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Collin Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Collin Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Collin Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860.
One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Collin County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Collin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Texas (raogk.org)
- Texas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Texas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Collin County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 865052, Plano 75086-5052
- Collin County Historical Commission,Collin County Administration Bldg., 2300 Bloomdale Rd., Suite 4192, McKinney, TX 75071; 972-548-4772 (McKinney), 972-424-1460
- North Texas History Center and the Collin County Farm Museum, 300 E. Virginia, McKinney, TX 75069; Phone: 972.542.9457
- Plano Heritage Association, 1900 West 15th Street, Plano, TX 75075
- Genealogy Friends of Plano [Texas] Libraries, Inc., Post Office Box 860477, Plano, TX 75086-0477
- Collin County Health Department, 825 North McDonald Street, (972) 424-1460
- Collin Co. Records Available on Microfilm (tsl.state.tx.us)
- Collin County, Texas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Collin County
- Collin County, Texas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Collin County
- USGenWeb Archives for Collin County
Collin County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers typically overlook the great importance of Collin County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Texas courthouses and archives everywhere are the aspirations and worries of many Texas citizens.
The chances are excellent that your particular forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Collin County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records will be in Collin County. The dates pointed out listed below tend to be the first recognized records with this county.
I highly recommend you get in touch with the clerk's office to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of workers will aid persons in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the man or women to do the research.
- Collin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2300 Bloomdale Rd., 2104, McKinney 75071
- Collin County Clerk is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (972) 548-4139
- Birth & Death Records: 1903
- Marriage Records: 1846
- Land Records: 1846
- Probate Records: 1846
- Court Records: 1846
- Collin County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
Collin County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relating to Collin County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most liked Collin County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Collin Co. TX Books,Newspapers & Publications
Collin Co. TX Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Texas
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Texas, Collin County Birth Records 1800 - 1926 (archives.com) Collin County Clerk
- Texas, Collin County Death Records 1800 - 1965 (archives.com) Collin County Clerk
- Texas, Collin County Marriage Records 1800 - 2010 (archives.com) Collin County Clerk
- Texas Birth Records 1927-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Birth Certificates, 1903-10 and 1926-29 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. Browse by county, then year, then surname, beginning with the first letters of the last name of the person you seek.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 to 2008 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Records 1964-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Certificates, 1890-1976 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. These records are searchable by first and last name of the deceased, year, county, and city.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com) Search over 82 million death records and get genealogical information crucial to your family research.
Collin Co. TX Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Collin Co. TX Census Records
Collin Co. TX Cemeteries & Graveyards
Collin Co. TX Church & Bible Records
Collin Co. TX Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Collin Co. TX General and History Websites
Collin Co. TX Immigration & Naturalization
Collin Co. TX Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Collin Co. TX Military Records