Wilson County, Tennessee
Wilson County, Tennessee Facts
When was Wilson County, TN Created?
Wilson County was founded on October 26, 1799 from Sumner County. This county was named in honor of David Wilson, a member of the legislatures of North Carolina and the Southwest Territory.
What is the County Seat of Wilson County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Lebanon also, the county government website is www.wilsoncountytn.com .
What counties are adjacent to Wilson County, TN?
Bordering counties are Trousdale County (north), Smith County (northeast), DeKalb County (east), Cannon County (southeast), Rutherford County (south), Davidson County (west) and Sumner County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Wilson County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Lebanon, Mount Juliet, Watertown .
Wilson County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Wilson County Courthouse?
Wilson County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Wilson County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Wilson County courthouse in 1881.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Wilson County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 950, 228 East Main St., Room 101, Lebanon, TN 37088
- Phone: (615) 444-0314
- Marriage Records: 1802
- Probate Records: 1802
- Wilson County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 176, Lebanon, TN 37087
- Phone: (615) 443-2611
- Land & Deed Records: 1789
- Wilson County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 134 South College Street, Lebanon, TN 37088
- Phone: 615-443-2672
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1837
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1810
- County Court Minutes: 1803
- Wilson County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 228 E. Main Street, Room 4, Lebanon, TN 37087
- Phone: (615) 444-8661
- Tax Records: 1804, 1821-1834, 1836, 1838, 1841-1846, 1851-1853, 1860, 1865-1869, 1871, 1872, 1875, 1884-1889, 1893-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Wilson County Health Department, 927 East Baddour Parkway, Lebanon, TN 37087-3706; (615) 444-5325 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Wilson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wilson County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Wilson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Wilson County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Wilson County can be found for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wilson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wilson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wilson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wilson County, TN?
- Wilson County Archives, 111 South College Street , Lebanon , TN 37087; Phone: (615) 443-1993
- West Wilson County Historical Society, P.O. Box 337, Mt Juliet 37122
- City of Lebanon Museum & History Center, 200 Castle Heights Ave. North, Lebanon, TN 37087 615-443-2839
- Mt. Juliet-West Wilson County Historical Society, (Mt. Juliet-Wilson County Public Library), 7851 Central Pike, PO Box 337, Mt. Juliet, TN 37121 615-754-2418
Wilson County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Wilson County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Wilson County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Wilson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Wilson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Wilson Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wilson Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wilson Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wilson Co. TN Census Records
Wilson Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Wilson Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wilson Co. TN General and History Websites
Wilson Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wilson Co. TN Military Records