Weakley County, Tennessee
Weakley County, Tennessee Facts
When was Weakley County, TN Created?
Weakley County was founded on October 23, 1823 from Chickasaw Indian lands. This county was named in honor of U.S. Representative Robert Weakley (1764–1845).
What is the County Seat of Weakley County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Dresden also, the county government website is www.weakleycountytn.gov .
What counties are adjacent to Weakley County, TN?
Bordering counties are Graves County, Kentucky (north), Henry County (east), Carroll County (southeast), Gibson County (southwest) and Obion County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Weakley County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Dresden, Gleason, Greenfield, Martin, Palmersville, Sharon .
Weakley County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Weakley County Courthouse?
Weakley County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Weakley County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Weakley County courthouse in 1948.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Weakley County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 587, Courthouse Square, Room 104, Dresden, TN 38225
- Phone: (731) 364-2285
- Marriage Records: 1843
- Probate Records: 1828
- Weakley County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 116 West Main, P.O. Box 45, Dresden, Tn 38225
- Phone: (731) 364-3646
- Land & Deed Records: 1822
- Weakley County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 116 West Main Street, Room 203, Dresden, TN 38225-1164
- Phone: 731-364-2456
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1827
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1844
- County Court Minutes: 1828
- Weakley County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 116 W. Main St., Room G01, Dresden TN 38225
- Phone: 731-364-3677
- Tax Records: 1838, 1842-1887, 1889-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Weakley County Health Department, 9852 Highway 22, Dresden, TN 38225; (731) 364-2210 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Weakley County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Weakley County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Weakley County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Weakley County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Weakley County can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Weakley Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Weakley Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Weakley Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Weakley County, TN?
- Weakley County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 92, Martin, TN 38237
- Dr. Nathan Porter Library, 228 North Front Street, Greenfield, TN 38230 731-235-9932
- Ned R. McWherter Weakley County Library, 341 Linden Street, Dresden, TN 38225 731-364-2678
- Weldon Public Library, 100 Main Street, Martin, TN 38237 731-587-3148
Weakley County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Weakley County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Weakley County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Weakley County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Weakley County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Weakley Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Weakley Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Weakley Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Weakley Co. TN Census Records
Weakley Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Weakley Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Weakley Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Weakley Co. TN General and History Websites
Weakley Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Weakley Co. TN Military Records