Wayne County, Tennessee
Genealogy and Facts
Wayne County, Tennessee genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Wayne Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Wayne County was founded on November 24, 1817 from Hickman and Humphreys (An earlier, but separate, “Wayne County” is included in today’s Carter County and part of Johnson County. It was established in 1785 under the state of Franklin but was abolished in 1788). This county was named in honor of American Revolutionary War General "Mad" Anthony Wayne (1745–1796) .
The Wayne County Seat is located in Waynesboro also, the county government website is www.waynecountytn.org/ .
Areas bordering to Wayne County are Perry County (north), Lewis County (northeast), Lawrence County (east), Lauderdale County, AL (south), Hardin County (west) and Decatur County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Wayne County include Clifton, Collinwood, Waynesboro .
Wayne County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Wayne County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wayne County Archives, Room 305 Courthouse, Waynesboro , TN 38485; Phone: (931) 722-5016
- Wayne County Historical Society, P.O. Box 866, Waynesboro 38485-0866
- Wayne County Public Library, Highway 64 East, PO Box 630, Waynesboro, TN 38485 931-722-5537
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wayne County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Wayne County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wayne County
- Wayne County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wayne County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Wayne County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Wayne County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Wayne County.
Wayne County Courthouse and Government Records
Wayne County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Wayne County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Wayne County courthouse in 1973.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Wayne County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 367, 200 Court Square, Waynesboro, TN 38485
- Phone: (931) 722-5544
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Probate Records: 1848
- Wayne County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 465, Waynesboro, TN 38485
- Phone: (931) 722-5518
- Land & Deed Records: 1821
- Wayne County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: P.O. Box 869, Waynesboro, TN 38485-0869
- Phone: 931-722-5519
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1861
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1851
- County Court Minutes: 1848
- Wayne County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 100 Court Circle, P.O. Box 466, Suite 203, Waynesboro, TN 38485
- Phone: 931-722-5282
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Wayne County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Wayne County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Wayne County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Wayne Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wayne Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wayne Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wayne Co. TN Census Records
Wayne Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wayne Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Wayne Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wayne Co. TN General and History Websites
Wayne Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wayne Co. TN Military Records